PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Hand Polishing Bundle

k1ucHt
04-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey everyone I recently purchased this package to take care of some heavy swirl marks/oxidation that cover my black 2001 Volkswagen Jetta. Most of the damage was done to the hood/roof so to start off I began with the hood of the car. I feel the directions on the bottles are very vague so I came here to ask for advice. I applied the SFX-1 with the Sonus SFX Professional Applicator (Yellow Side) using a side-to-side motion and let it sit for ~5 minutes. I buffed off the residue in a circular motion with a soft cotton T-Shirt. Afterwards I applied SFX-3 with the black side of the applicator using a circular motion and again after ~5 minutes buffed the residue off with a separate soft cotton T-Shirt. When I came out to my car this morning and the sun was fully shining again I do believe I removed a decent amount of oxidation but the car definitely still needs work.

Can I repeat the process above on top of what I have already done without causing any damage? I do not want to unnecessarily thin my paint. Also do you have any suggestions on the process I used. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I`m sorry I do not have pictures of the car at this time.

Setec Astronomy
04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I don`t think you have to worry too much about taking off too much paint by hand with SFX-1 as it appears to be about a 6 on the accepted cut scale. On the other hand, I`m not sure you`re going to be too successful taking out heavy swirl marks by hand unless you`ve got arms like Popeye (or Scottwax).

k1ucHt
04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Thats good to know thank you. Well I`m new to detailing in general so I`m not exactly sure what qualifies as "heavy" but in my eyes that`s what I see. Regardless I do see some improvement so I may be in luck. BTW as far as cleaning the applicator what steps should I take? And the method taken above is acceptable?

deathlok
04-23-2008, 11:15 AM
your process look ok. just reapply until you get a decent result. (and I suggest you buy one microfiber towel to buff of the product you apply)

By hand (and you process) you cannot make any harm to your paint.

Also watch this (very helpful)

YouTube - Tutorial: How to use Meguiar`s ScratchX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxeqntf0eQ)

k1ucHt
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
wow good video thank you, I`ll be sure to pick up a towel before I start the process over. again though as far as cleaning/washing the applicator and the microfiber towel for that matter. what is the best process?

Asad_A203
04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
As long as you just use detergent without fabric softner I think you will be fine for the MF towel. Just hand wash and air dry. For the pads; I would just use a low ratio of detergent to water and a toothbrush to clean it. You can buy snappy pad cleaners as well which work much better.

3puttjay
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I have found dawn dishwashing liquid to be very effective in removing polishes and compounds from my pads. I went and bought the dawn power dissolver as well if i get something on my pads that regular dawn can`t get out. I just wash my MF towels in the regular cycle with tide-free and some vinegar in the rinse cycle. I hope this helps.