PDA

View Full Version : what to do on old paint

imported_saleen4971
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
hey guys, been a while since i came around these parts. im about to finish my project car and want to get her detailed before the REAL summer season starts :)

its a 1972 triumph TR6. it has been repainted, but it wasnt a GREAT job. single stage, maroon.

some spots have been touched up with spray paint, adn the entire trunk lid is spray paint.

its gritty, scratched, etc. etc.

in my cabinet i have:

megs 9, 7, 26

megs NXT

turtle wax platinum

3M polishing compound ( i THINK)

claybar

ROUGH ROUGH compound that feel even grittier than teh grittiest toothpaste ever!!!

porter cable DACP

SO obviously im going to wash/clay the entire car. but what shoudl i do then? shoudl i use the gritty as hell compound on the real paint, and shy away form the probobly thin layer of spray paint? then fo over the whoel car with 9,7,26???

im not expecting it to lok great becasue the paint on this thing is SHOT. i jstu want it to look nice from a distance. once you get up close you can obviously see it was an extreme budget build (including the car under 4000) and without a good paint job its not going to look spectacular.

ideas? tips?

also i need to buy more pads for my porter cable, which i got from proper auto care, but back then they have 3 pads, now they have elleventy billion colors!!! which should i use and for what?

Accumulator
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
saleen4971- If it`s in the shape I envision, I wouldn`t use the harsh stuff, just too hard to predict what`ll happen.

If you mess up the spraypainted areas, they`ll look *worse* than they do now, so I`d be thinking "first, do no harm".

Unless you want to buy more stuff, I think I`d just do the #9/#7/NXT (or #26) and say "good enough".

imported_saleen4971
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
i guess thats the way ill go then :) nothing would anger me more than rubbing off the maroon paint to find green under it :furious: