PDA

View Full Version : NXT 2.0 at 2 months (and 1 week)-pics and video

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I used Meguiars NXT 2.0 via UDM (blue Propel finishing pad) on this 2000 Buick Regal back on February 14th. Today, April the 22nd, I was out to wash and reseal it (owners of the business pay for employee 1 steps) and took this pictures right after an ONR wash:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/NXT2_at_2_months.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/NXT2_at_2_months2.jpg

I also made a quick video of the sheeting action I was getting with ONR over a 9 week or so application of NXT 2.0. Bear in mind that when I used ONR on this car back in February, ONR just sat there on the paint. The owner has no idea if the car had ever been waxed and she just runs it through a laser wash once or twice a month when she gets gas to clean it. I believe it is garaged at home but it sits outside at their office.

YouTube - Meguiars NXT 2.0 at 2 months (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCTZgEY1hHU)

Wolf-Strong
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Fantastic stuff :)

With looks set aside as I never buy a wax for `the look`, the simple fact on how easy NXT is to use along with the price and availability make it second to none for me. Fantastic protection to boot!

imported_shine
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Very nice...how would you rate this compared to other $15-20 waxes/sealants?

NCZ13
04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
i like it better than any other OTC product i tried. and i like it better than NXT1. it removes easier (although all i have is liquid nxt2, and that could play a role) and leaves a very slick finish, but i felt that it loses that slickness after 2 washes...

Macruz19
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Regardless if the paint is protected or not.. if you use ONR the water would sheet anyway, due to the polymers/protectant in ONR right?

gbackus
04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Regardless if the paint is protected or not.. if you use ONR the water would sheet anyway, due to the polymers/protectant in ONR right?

No, on unprotected paint the water just pools there on horizontal surfaces, and clings to vertical surfaces. On protected cars, the behavior varies, from the sheeting like in scott`s videos, to the beading and rolling off like I`m used to.

Macruz19
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
No, on unprotected paint the water just pools there on horizontal surfaces, and clings to vertical surfaces. On protected cars, the behavior varies, from the sheeting like in scott`s videos, to the beading and rolling off like I`m used to.

A car that`s protected does not have to bead. I`ve seen it on my sisters car. If the car is not clean the dirt will prevent from beading, and will either sheet or pool especially flat surfaces, and that will cause water spots from my experience. Even if it`s protected I would still witness some pooling on flat surfaces even right after a week old LSP. This is all based from my experience.

gbackus
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
A car that`s protected does not have to bead. I`ve seen it on my sisters car. If the car is not clean the dirt will prevent from beading, and will either sheet or pool especially flat surfaces, and that will cause water spots from my experience. Even if it`s protected I would still witness some pooling on flat surfaces even right after a week old LSP. This is all based from my experience.

With experience, you will be able to tell when a car is unprotected when using no rinse.

Have you ever washed a really oxidized car, or a car with failing clearcoat? Ever watch how the water clings to the surfaces, and just pools there? That is how the water will behave when using no rinse on an unprotected surface. This is not like pre-rinsing a car where dirt will change the behavior of the LSP, within the first swipe, 90-99% of the dirt is gone.

If you wash a car with no rinse that has ANY measure of protection left, it will IMMEDIATELY react, and this reaction VARIES, from sheeting like in Scott`s Videos, to all out beading like with the LSP I use, to any variation in between.

Scottwax
04-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Bear in mind that when I used ONR on this car back in February, ONR just sat there on the paint. The owner has no idea if the car had ever been waxed and she just runs it through a laser wash once or twice a month when she gets gas to clean it.

I believe I answered that already...

shine-well worth the price, best OTC wax/sealant I have used.

Rob Tomlin
04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
That video was WAY too long Scott. I fell asleep half way through!

;)

imported_Denzil
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I`ve let my car get pretty dirty before and it still beaded... I guess I`m just lucky, hehe.

dublifecrisis
04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
My one coat of NXT is still strong at about 6 weeks on my black GTI. parked outside everyday here in Florida. Garaged most nights. just washed Friday and water sheeted almost as if it were just applied. I`ve never used boutique wax so my comparison is just to other OTC`s I`ve used.

good stuff

imported_JoshVette
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I`ve let my car get pretty dirty before and it still beaded... I guess I`m just lucky, hehe.

Same with me, I`ve had my truck plenty dirty and still had very measurable beading on all surfaces.....

I just reciently bought some NXT 2.0 to test the durability to see what all the fuss is about and wash, clayed and waxed by hand my wifes daily driver which is garaged every night.

After one week it still felt very slick, but after washing it one time, it lost about 80% of it`s slickness and beading. It still beads on the sides, but all the top surfaces sheet.....I`m not overly impressed as I`ve heard so much good about the new NXT 2.0

These are my honest finding and my wife felt the car and wasn`t happy with the loss of slickness either....

Josh

Scottwax
04-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Josh-by sheet, do you mean the water just lays there and pools or it moves from the high point to the low point in one sheet? Does it still bead in the rain?

The horizontal surfaces of the Regal were doing just like the sides, but it was nearly 90 and I was working in the sun so I didn`t want anything drying on the paint, plus it would have made it look like the water was sheeting away faster than it actually was due to the drying affect of the sun.

imported_JoshVette
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Josh-by sheet, do you mean the water just lays there and pools or it moves from the high point to the low point in one sheet? Does it still bead in the rain?

The car hasn`t been in any rain, but I did spray the water high up in the air and there was not hardly any beading occuring. Rain really is not a good tester anyways as it comes down in small droplets to begin with and thus will bead automatically to an extent.

When I say sheeting I mean that the water would gather in larger pools, but not one big pool, just many large pools or various shapes and sizes and slowly disapate. It did not want to slide down the hood it`s own either.

I was honestly hoping the slickness and beading was going to last much longer on the newly formulated NXT 2. It still has some slickness, but like I said about 80% at least of the origional slickness is gone after the wash. It`s really a dramatic difference in the slickness before I washed it compared to after, I was honestly shocked.

I have not added any Detail Sprays or anything like that, this is soley being tested on it`s own.