PDA

View Full Version : Odd exterior detailing question.

Pages : [1] 2

admbmb
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Let`s say I wanted to cover my car in newspaper. As in, to cover up my current paint color, I wanted to use newspaper.

1) Do I have to strip my current paint job off my car?

2) If so, what then would I use to adhere the newspaper?

3) If not, what then would I use to adhere the newspaper to the paint?

4) What would I use to finish it off and make it weather proof like a normal paint job?

5) Is there such a thing as a UV coat so that the sun didn`t turn the newspaper yellow and unreadable over time?

6) Basically, is this an auto-shop job or something I might be able to do myself? I know I would need to at least adhere the newspaper myself as per my creative desire. So I`m thinking I might at least be able to do everything except the finishing coat.

Any info is appreciated!

oneshare325
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
huh????????

admbmb
04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah................................

Chris@Optimum
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I honestly don`t know where to start...

Holden_C04
04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
huh????????

..............+1

oneshare325
04-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Are you another member playing a joke???? :lol

todd@bsaw
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
If you`re serious: Vinyl Wrap

admbmb
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
This is seriously not a joke.

I was in San Francisco once and saw a car covered in legos.

I have a concept with newspaper.

I`m like dead serious.

admbmb
04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Also, I`m absolutely IGNORANT when it comes to anything car related. So vinyl wrap just adds more question marks with me....

todd@bsaw
04-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Meaning, find someone to create a computer design for you that looks like the car covered in newspaper then get it printed onto vinyl. Basically, a custom car-sized sticker.

If you`re just looking to do something completely unique and artistic with this, I guess I really don`t know where to start.

beachcities
04-21-2008, 11:38 PM
That sounds cool man, unique and cool. You probably would not want to use real news paper. They could make and image of it on vinyl and wrap the car with it. Do a google search for "vehicle wraps" and you should find something. They are very common in california.

admbmb
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info.

If I had to introduce another snag, however, is I want specific newspaper stuffs.

Mainly headlines of my choosing.

So, maybe I could whip some stuff together, and THEN have somebody take pictures or whatever and have THAT printed on vinyl??

salty
04-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Oddest post i`ve seen in quite a while.

Vehicle wrap people should be able to do what ever you want, for the price.

You could also find some old panels from an auto body shop and try your own methods. Not sure what glue would be clear and UV safe. X-Kote might work if the print doesn`t run.

backwoods_lex
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
You may be able to cover you existing paint with blue 3M tape, use a light glue on top of the 3M tape and add your specific headlines, and cover that with a translucent/clear packaging tape. It wouldn`t be permanent, but you would think it may last for a while.

Quick question: If I opened up your fridge, would I find a human head inside?

Just kidding. Good luck with the design!

GP guy
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I guess thats what makes unique people very interesting and some what confusing and to each is their own. Anyways good luck on your project.