PDA

View Full Version : How much flex should a backing plate have?

superkaz661
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
The reason I ask, is that I`m a newb, and have just finished collecting everything I need to start detailing (pc 7424, pads, *backing plate*, polishes, etc)

I just received my order of pads, polishes and backing plate from AutoGeek. However, they sent me the wrong backing plate. I ordered their model LC-43-125DA 5" backing plate Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5" (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html) because it was supposed to be flexible and had two good reviews. Instead, they sent me a 5" backing plate made by "the edge products"Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/damvp5.html).

The backing plate that was sent seems to have no flex at all. It may if you really really lean on it, but I can`t imagine using that much pressure on a cars paint.

So the question is, are most backing plates like this? Or do the actually flex when pressure is applied. I recall reading that Sonus plates only require .15 lbs/in. befopre they start to flex. I would imagine that the one I received takes between 8 and 10 lbs/in. before there is any meaningful deflection.

It would seem to me that especially as a newb, it would be beneficial to have a plate that deflects as much as possible, so as to not apply too much pressure on any one part of the pad especially given what are likely to be my unrefined techniques.

However, this may be what they are all like, and I just haven`t seen enough to know.

All advice is appreciated.

Cheers. :)

superkaz661
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
anyone? I`m thinking I`ll need to talk to Autogeek soon otherwise they might not accept a return.

Accumulator
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
superkaz661- Welcome to Autopia!

While I do prefer the flex plates, sorta out of general priciples, most of mine aren`t all *that* flexible anyhow- *Including* the one you wanted. By the time I put enough pressure on them to really make `em flex, I`ve overloaded the PC`s abilities and made it merely "jiggle".

I never had any issues from using the rigid ones.

I`d keep the Edge plate, and buy the flex one too. It really does pay to have a backup, and when you have both on-hand I think you`ll see that the flex feature doesn`t amount to all *that* much, functionally speaking. You`ll probably still like it better though, I know I do ;)

I predict that you`ll find the PC *so* gentle that any worries will quickly be forgotten. Before too long you`ll probably be back asking how to make it more aggressive ;) (And the answer is: with a small backing plate and 4" pads.)

superkaz661
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Accumulator-

Thanks for the comments. Being a newb, I really was worried about doing more damage than correction. It`s nice to know that you dont think I`ll do TOO much damage using the stiff one :D

That said, I may take your advice and get the other "more flexible" pad. One of the cars I`ll be using it on is mostly angular (Volvo 850). Another is fairly intermediate in its curves (2000 Passat). The last though is fairly curvy, and it might benefit from a bit of flex (71 MG Midget)

Again, thanks for the words of encouragement and helpful advice.

Cheers.

:)

NSXTASY
04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
You wont notice much flex, and you wouldnt want much flex with the PC. That EDGE BP looks nice, however, expensive. I would certainly pick up a 3.5/3.75" BP for your PC and some 4" pads.

Happy Buffing

Accumulator
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
One of the cars I`ll be using it on is mostly angular (Volvo 850). Another is fairly intermediate in its curves (2000 Passat)...

I used to have a 850 wagon, never needed a flex pad, so you oughta be OK, same with the VW (sorta hard paint on both, so be forewarned...).

Keep most polishes off the black/gray trim on the 850 or it`ll be a nightmare to clean off. Dunno if the 1Z stuff would be OK on it, it *usually* is but that trim can be a PIA.