PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PC orbital? (apartment use)

nyczyang27
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey,

I`m looking forward to getting all the swirls out of my car but the problem is that I live in an apartment. I don`t have access to any outdoor plug outlet. Any of you guys have experience with wireless buffers? If so, which ones do you recommend?

Eliot Ness
04-21-2008, 01:59 PM
It has been my experience with cordless buffers like the WEN (http://wenproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4), that they are useful for applying a wax, glaze, etc., but lack the power for any defect (swirl) removal.

I would invest in a PC or UDM and a good extension cord and try to find a friend who would let you borrow their electric outlet.

imported_themightytimmah
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Get a 100+ foot cord and run it from inside your apartment. That`s what we do at my buddy`s house. There is just no way to get enough power in a cordless machine to do paint correction for more than 10 minutes at a time or so.

You`ll probably want a 12/3 cord, too. The good ones are $130+, but mine was around 40 bucks and I`ve never had a problem with it and my Makita.

superkaz661
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Just get yourself an inverter and run it off your car. At 3.7 amps for a 7424, I`d conservatively recommend a 600 watt continuous inverter.

jshillin
04-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Go with the 100` Extension cord, I did that before I moved to a place with an outside outlet.

J.J.
04-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I used to run a cord from inside the apartment as well. Worked great but was quite annoying!

TTWAGN
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Would be much easier using one of those mini portable 900 watt generators. They are very quiet and light. Much easier than running an extension cord.

Cheaper than running an invertor and leaving your car running.

Roishe Cheng
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a feeling from his screen name that he lives in one of the numerous multi-story apartment buildings somewhere in NYC necessitating a 450 foot extension cord drop out of a 10th. floor window :).

nyczyang27
04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I have a feeling from his screen name that he lives in one of the numerous multi-story apartment buildings somewhere in NYC necessitating a 450 foot extension cord drop out of a 10th. floor window :).

LOL, I live on the 9th floor actually. Extension cord is not possible.. the doorman and residents will throw a fit.

Yeah, I think I`m going to follow the advice on getting my hands on a mini-generator. One question.. is 900 watt the minimum for a pc? These generators are pretty expensive..

superkaz661
04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Would be much easier using one of those mini portable 900 watt generators. They are very quiet and light. Much easier than running an extension cord.

Cheaper than running an invertor and leaving your car running.

Both initially and over the long run, using an inverter will be less expensive, guaranteed. Additionally, they aren`t just "quiet" they are silent, and it will take up much less space--a premium in apartment living (trust me, I know-used to do the apartment thing in Boston).

Show me the cheapest generator you can find (like I said above, you`ll need a 600 watt continuous to run a 7424) and I`ll do the math to show you why its cheaper.

wannafbody
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
check Harbor Freight for a small generator

Roishe Cheng
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
LOL, I live on the 9th floor actually. Extension cord is not possible.. the doorman and residents will throw a fit.

Yeah, I think I`m going to follow the advice on getting my hands on a mini-generator. One question.. is 900 watt the minimum for a pc? These generators are pretty expensive..

WOW, I was off by one floor, gee I know my buildings don`t I? When I was looking at generators, the Honda EU 1000I was one I really liked, because the noise level was really really low. I was impressed, it was around 53db.

imported_Dave1
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, there is always that other option......

Go to a friends house that has a garage ........

Plan out a weekend day and make sure to bring the beer.....:up

ducktail
04-23-2008, 05:44 AM
It has been my experience with cordless buffers like the WEN (http://wenproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4), that they are useful for applying a wax, glaze, etc., but lack the power for any defect (swirl) removal.

I would invest in a PC or UDM and a good extension cord and try to find a friend who would let you borrow their electric outlet.

Followed the link, looks like it is out of stock