PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a polish

sas71
04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
new to the detailing world. just a weekend warrior here. im not even allowed to play with power tools yet. ive been looking a few polishes and wanted your opinions.

the car is a silver `08 Mazda3 thats 2 months old. i plain on using clay first. ive been checking out the Poorboys polish w/carnuba and the P21S. Both seem to be easy on/off which is what i want.

I see the Poorboys is a cleaner also and seems like i read that the P21S is to. With using either of these would i still need a separate pre cleaner? id like to clean and polish in one step since its so new i think i can get buy with that.

Im open to suggestions on other products and cost is a concern.

- something easy on/off

- i can do by hand

on paper to me the Poorboys looks like a winner..but again im open to suggestions

sas71
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
can i bump my own thread?

motobuild
04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
can i bump my own thread?

Have you tried using the search function? There are probably a lot of threads that answer this question.

Good luck!

Eliot Ness
04-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Your plan should work; the PWC is a cleaner that will leave behind a little bit of protection (wax) and the P21S does not contain cleaners.

Just remember that the products you`re using by hand won`t remove any defects (swirls, marring, etc.). Be careful (gentle) when you clay and use a lot of lube so you don`t leave any marring. You might want to get the new P21S 100% Carnauba:

P21S 100% Carnauba Wax (http://www.topoftheline.com/p21s-100-carnauba-wax.html)

sas71
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
thanks for the info

the part of the process after the clay and before the wax is definately the most confusing to a new guy.

Accumulator
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
sas71- Welcome to Autopia!

Noting that everybody has an opinion and that there`s nothing wrong with your proposed product choices, I`ll still offer my consistent newbie-advice:

I`d get some 1Z brand polish and top it with some Collinite brand wax (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) )

You could choose the 1Z Metallic Polish with Wax if you don`t have any scratches or their Paint Polish if you *do* have scratches. Both work well even by hand and are *VERY* user-friendly. Both leave some wax behind, so if you`re pooped after the wash/clay/polish you can just wait and apply the "real" wax after the next wash; the 1Z will last for a few weeks on its own.

For the Collinite, I prefer the 476S paste, but the 845 liquid is incredibly user-friendly (as much so as the P21s IMO). All Collinite waxes last a *LOT* longer than P21s and they look good.

I`ve recommended the above to a *LOT* of people (and I use it myself) with no negative feedback (but plenty of *positive* feedback).

Just something else to consider :D