PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first time polishing.

Pages : [1] 2

stagius24
04-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi

I am pretty new to detailing car. I just crammed a lot of reading about car detailing, not sure i can understand it correctly.

Here is my situation

I am trying to do a touch-up paint to my car.

1) To level the touch-paint, people suggest me soak the grit for over night, and apply lubrication while sanding. I am using 2000 grit. Is this all right ? If so, what happen if i did not do the soaking, and water lubrication.

2) After sanding, the paint look like dull. I then used 3M rubbing compound with a microfiber. It look better but i still not satisfy with the result ( i do know 3m is just a liquid sanding). The color is still dull and not match with OEM color. Is there anything else I should do ? Or 3m rubbing compound is the last step.

It would be nice if you guy recommend me some product from auto store like kragen, autozone. I don`t really like to order and wait for stuff to ship/

Please give comment,

Thank you,

stagius24
04-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Did more reading, i still don`t know the difference between wet sanding and dry sanding ?

In my case, i suppose to do the wet sanding, which i didnt.

Also, what is the proper way and supply to buff out after polish the paint.

Sorry if you found these question are nooby.

Thank you

Domas
04-21-2008, 02:45 AM
I don`t know about dry sanding, but I would recommend wet sanding. 2000 grit may be to harsh, if you already sanded with 2000, I think you should do a quick wet pass with 3000 to reduce the 2000 scratches.

After that polish it with your 3M rubbing compound, but not with microfiber, better use a foam applicator (use microfiber after you finish polishing, to wipe out the residue). You`ll need to polish it for some time to take out the sanding marks.

stagius24
04-21-2008, 02:50 AM
are you saying that I should not use the 3M rubbing compound with a microfiber pad ?

I am pretty sure that on the bottle, it recommend to use with a microfiber pad. I will have to look at it again.

After polishing it with 3M rubbing compound, I still dont see any gloss. It look dull to me ( but better than after sanding it) . I would like to know if there is any other step I could do to improve.

I am still not clear about the buff out process. Can anyone give me a clue on it ?

Thank you again,

stagius24
04-21-2008, 01:07 PM
bump for the help

RedlineG37
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Are you using a PC?

stagius24
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
no, it is only a small area that i need to repair, so i only used hand.

stagius24
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
no, i intend to use hand to polish as it is just a small area.

Plus, i want to try something simple first, before getting to try with PC.

Any suggestion ?

Legacy
04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
To level the touch-paint, people suggest me soak the grit for over night, and apply lubrication while sanding. I am using 2000 grit. Is this all right ? If so, what happen if i did not do the soaking, and water lubrication.

What made you dry sand, did you read something about dry sanding that made you do it?

stagius24
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
It is my mistake not to remember everything.

After dry sand, the paint look pretty bad, i was worry about it, and am still searching for a solution.

So to sum it up, wet sanding as i described is a must to follow right ?

Big_O
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
If you are new to detailing, it may not be a good idea to do anykind of wet or dry sanding on your vehicle. Most people won`t take sandpaper to their paint without lots of experience. You run the risk of destroying your paint and maing it extremely difficult to repair if damaged. Read up on the most popular polishes and start with the least evasive means first. :)

stagius24
04-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I appreciate your advice. But how i am gonna level my touch up paint ?

It would take a lot of effort to level all the touch paint by hand polish, right ?

Accumulator
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
stagius24- Welcome to Autopia.

There`s a product you can use to level paint chemically- search on "Langka" for info.

Sounds like you`ve already done the sanding. A compound should make the sanding scratches much better. Then use a milder polish to make the *compounding marks* better. I`m not sure what products to recommend as the stuff *I* usually use is off the market and the stuff I usually recommend (1Z brand) has wax in it, which isn`t good for fresh paint.

Look in the phone book and find a local autobody/paint supply place. They will have the products you`ll need (perhaps Meguiar`s #2 or #105 followed by #80, but don`t bother with the super-mild #9 or #82, let alone #7 or #81).

Note that touchup paint hardly ever looks perfect and often doesn`t even look very decent. It`s simply very hard to do a *good* touchup. My one painter is *very* good at it, but eveh he will sometimes do a chip over and over again (wiping off with solvent if it doesn`t look right) until he gets it just right. *My* touchups usually look awful, and I`ve been doing this for decades :nixweiss

stagius24
04-22-2008, 02:51 PM
so after apply the touch up paint, how long should i wait to do the sanding level, and polish.

First time, i wait like 2 hours, the paint look right, and the touch up paint almost peel off.

@Accumulator: can you explain why i should not use the super mild polish like #7 ? I though we should start with the mildest first, then go with the less mild. That way i can avoid the risk of burning paint. Am I right when assuming that ?

Accumulator
04-22-2008, 07:04 PM
so after apply the touch up paint, how long should i wait to do the sanding level, and polish.

First time, i wait like 2 hours, the paint look right, and the touch up paint almost peel off...

I wait a few days.

@Accumulator: can you explain why i should not use the super mild polish like #7 ? I though we should start with the mildest first, then go with the less mild. That way i can avoid the risk of burning paint. Am I right when assuming that ?

#7 is functionally nonabrasive (as is #81 and all the other Meg`s "pure polishes"). The #9 and #82 are *so* mild that IMO they`re simply a waste of time. I understand the "start gentle", but IMO there`s a practical limit to how far to take that. If you`re dealing with 2K sanding scratches, it`ll take something with some real cut to remove them (voice of experience)...not so much the scratches on the touchup paint, but especially the scratches that invariably get on the surrounding factory paint.