PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the chicago electric rotary from harbor freight?

Pages : [1] 2

3puttjay
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92623)I am interested in getting a rotary to help with getting the scratches and swirls out of my rock hard GM paint. I have been using the UDM and OHC and OP to get rid of the swirls on my car and it is taking forever to get anything done. Also the vibrations from holding the UDM for hours at setting 6 are taking a toll on my hands. I`m debating about getting the rotary from harbor freight. It`s only $39 and for how many times I plan on using it, it seems to be a good deal. Has anyone else bought or used this Chicago electric rotary before? Any and all responses are appreciated.

itb76
04-18-2008, 08:58 PM
It`s only $39 and for how many times I plan on using it, it seems to be a good deal.

I have one, and I got it for the same reason. However now I like the rotary better, so maybe I should have bought a better one. The Chicago Electric unit does the job, the drawbacks are the rpms slow down with added load, it does not keep the rpm constant, and the speed adjustment goes from 1 - 6, there is not an rpm indicated (makes sense, since it varies). I used mine on a wetsanding job on my race car when I first got it about two years ago, and about twice per year since then, and it still runs fine.

Vibration is less than a PC, and obviously swirl removal is much faster. I can`t imagine removing sanding scratches with a PC anymore.

POPPAJ
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Works good for my limited use. Upgrade the BP. Can`t beat the price!

mfewtrail
04-19-2008, 01:51 AM
The Chicago Electric unit does the job, the drawbacks are the rpms slow down with added load, it does not keep the rpm constant, and the speed adjustment goes from 1 - 6, there is not an rpm indicated (makes sense, since it varies)..

Here`s a quote from an old post here about the speed settings on the chicago electric rotary.

Hope this helps.

Here goes:

1= 1000

2= 1400

3= 1800

4= 2200

5= 2600

6= 3000

The dial, however, is variable, meaning 1.5= 1200, 2.5= 1600, etc. Hope this helps out a bit

Eliot Ness
04-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I`ve got one and they do the job as intended, and for an occasional user the price is hard to beat. As mentioned the drawbacks are lack of an electronic speed control and variable speed trigger.... also they go on sale at least once or twice a year for $19.99.

I have since gotten a Metabo, which I naturally like better, but the HF spins the pad and will do the same corrections. If you get the HF rotary buy a better Backing Plate as POPPAJ mentioned.

netspec
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92623)I am interested in getting a rotary to help with getting the scratches and swirls out of my rock hard GM paint. I have been using the UDM and OHC and OP to get rid of the swirls on my car and it is taking forever to get anything done. Also the vibrations from holding the UDM for hours at setting 6 are taking a toll on my hands. I`m debating about getting the rotary from harbor freight. It`s only $39 and for how many times I plan on using it, it seems to be a good deal. Has anyone else bought or used this Chicago electric rotary before? Any and all responses are appreciated.

I brought one of these to try out w/System One polish. I was comfortable using it and it produced great results. The only problem I had was the rotary would rev up and down.

If it turns out that you get the hang of using a rotary, do yourself a favor and purchase a better brand rotary (Makita, Dewalt, Metabo, Flex) and keep the Chicago electric as a backup.

fergnation
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought one with the warranty. Have taken it back three times now. They don`t work longer than an hour at most. I was all excited about having a back up rotary for so cheap. NOT, worth the trouble unless you have a HF store in your back yard.

Now that I think about it reminds me of another machine I bought that starts with a U and ends in a M.

teck
04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Have one of that model which I Like ok got an older model more Heavy Duty and heavier in weight too which is still running strong 4 yrs later and just got another more accurate digital one about a month ago had to echange it the brushs went bad in it and someone had opened the box already and took the ones they send with it out but since I got the new one no problems

ptaylor_9849
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Definitely worth the money. It does ramp up and down with the speed though. But seriously, how can you go wrong for 20 or 30 dollars. Great learning tool to decide whether you want to invest in a Makita.

Patrick

3puttjay
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all the advice folks. I`m running out there next week to get mine. Gosh I wish I knew when they will put it on sale for $20. Will the edge adapter for a rotary fit on this model or would I have to get a better hook and loop backing plate?

Eliot Ness
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice folks. I`m running out there next week to get mine. Gosh I wish I knew when they will put it on sale for $20. Will the edge adapter for a rotary fit on this model or would I have to get a better hook and loop backing plate?It is the standard 5/8 thread so you can use the edge rotary adapter. The Velcro backing plate that it comes with is pretty cheap, so if you`re planning on using Velcro backed pads I`d buy a better backing plate.

It won`t help you much now, but it was right before Christmas a couple of years ago when it went on sale locally for $19.99.

Gemini13
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Got one for $25 because I thought it was good deal as well. Well I broke it out last week to use with System One. Put the 8" pad on and managed to get the hood of my S-10 done before it started to smoke. While using it the RPM`s jumped all over and it bogged with little pressure.

Anomaly
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Just picked one of these up from my local HF store. I intend to use it on a boat detail I have lined up this weekend for spot work.

Glad I read this thread before getting to work and running into some problems.

imported_DetailDan
05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I sent my Metabo in on Saturday because it is leaking oil. On Monday I broke out the Chicago rotary and messed with it on an old hood I have. I compounded the hood using wool and PG. Stopped and moved on to a fender on my car only using SIP and orange, then blue w/ 106. The machine fried up and started smoking while polishing with the 106. I figured the Chicago would make a good enough back up rotary. So much for that.

I originally bought the Chicago to learn on, then like I said it would be a back up. My advice, even if you`re just starting out, go ahead and buy a quality machine. Im not sure Id buy the Metabo again. Id probably go with the DeWalt or something similar.

ptaylor_9849
05-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Maybe these machines are hit or miss. I practiced with mine for months without any trouble other than the inconsistent rpm`s. I still have mine and it works great.

Patrick