PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Rotary Stuck On?

Pages : [1] 2

04yfz
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
So I was using my hitachi today and when i released the trigger it still kept spinning. I unplugged it, pluged it back in and it still continued to spin at about 600 rpm. I took the brushes out they looked fine. Anyone else ever experience this? Would I be able to fix this or will I have to get it serviced? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

SuperBee364
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Sounds like it`s more likely to be a trigger problem than a brush problem. Probably the spring.

Todd@RUPES
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Mine does this all time. Going on number 4 in 9 months....

04yfz
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Sounds like it`s more likely to be a trigger problem than a brush problem. Probably the spring.

The odd thing is, when I put it on speed 6 the pressure sensitive trigger works fine and when I release it it sounds like it`s about to stop then keeps spinning at low rpms.

04yfz
04-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Mine does this all time. Going on number 4 in 9 months....

I`m glad I was working on my own car when it happened so it`s not so much of a big deal but this has me thinking about going with another brand. What would you recommend?

SuperBee364
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I`m glad I was working on my own car when it happened so it`s not so much of a big deal but this has me thinking about going with another brand. What would you recommend?

If you`re looking for a really light weight rotary, I sure like my new Flex 3403.

04yfz
04-18-2008, 05:21 PM
If you`re looking for a really light weight rotary, I sure like my new Flex 3403.

I don`t mind the size and weight of the hitachi, because it is powerful. I did look into the flex and the one thing that I don`t like about it is that the lowest setting is 1100 rpms.

SuperBee364
04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I was concerned with the slowest setting being that fast, too, but it hasn`t been a problem... yet. The RPM`s do drop rapidly on the machine as soon as you put any work against it. I would guess that the RPM drops to well less than 1k or so when you actually start buffing.

the other pc
04-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I don`t mind the size and weight of the hitachi, ....The Hitachi is light. The Makita’s a bit heavier and the Dewalt is significantly heavier

PC.

elitemobile
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Your hitachi should have a 5 yr warranty....give them a call they should be able to help you out...if you get stuck in a pinch and need a machine to borrow give me a call

imported_rydawg
04-18-2008, 11:37 PM
mine did that too a bunch of times

04yfz
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
The Hitachi is light. The Makita’s a bit heavier and the Dewalt is significantly heavier

PC.

If I do decide to go with a different brand it would probably be Makita, is the Makita that much heavier that it is very noticeable when using it?

Your hitachi should have a 5 yr warranty....give them a call they should be able to help you out...if you get stuck in a pinch and need a machine to borrow give me a call

I`m going to give them a call, the only issue is that I bought it off ebay slightly used from someone, and the original paper work that came with it states a one year warraty...Thanks for the offer to borrow a machine, I`ll give you a call to let you know if I find the ultrafina.

mine did that too a bunch of times

Did you have to have it repaired or did it stop on its own?

04yfz
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Just thought I`d give an update in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

I took it to a local tool repair guy and he fixed it up for me in less than a day for 25 bucks. He said the polish dust gets inside them and that`s what causes it usually. It works perfect now.

I had an older model which only came with a 1 year warranty I guess(looking at the original paperwork), plus I bought it used in a package with lots of pads for a good price, so I didn`t mind paying for the repair. I`m just glad the guy took care of me quickly so I can still do my details this weekend without issues.

If anyone is in NJ I highly recommend Power Tool Company in Neptune, call them at 732-776-8282.

BigAl3
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
a friend of mine ordered one (hitachi rotary) from coastaltool.com ( a while back) and when he plugged it in, it instantly started without even pressing the trigger. he sent it back and got a replacement. glad to hear everything worked out!

04yfz
04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
That`s odd, it seems like these have the most problems compared to others. I think that once I get a steamer and extractor, I`ll look into a replacement rotary and dedicate this one as a backup or for small tight areas with a 2 3/4 inch backing plate.