PDA

View Full Version : Just got a UDM, need some help on products now

ZoomBoy
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
So my UDM with the DAS pad bundle has arrived. I`m out to completely work over my Civic SiR soon but am lost now as to what products I`ll need (polish, glaze?)

Wax, I think I`m going to stick with either some OTC Meguiars or my Collinite that I applied before the winter, I really liked that stuff.

So now, can anyone recommend what I`ll need in between a clay and the wax? My car has some light swirls on it (from what I can see from a fresh wash) but nothing bad. I have a couple of scratches that I`d like to try and take out (about 4 inches long on my rear quarter panel) but nothing that makes you cry.

My girlfriends Hyundai Accent has seen a lot more "it`s just a car.." moments so bigger scratches, water etching, etc. I`m sure I have all the pads I`ll need and am going to attack my car with the orange pad.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I`m pretty competent with detailing, but this takes it to a whole new level for me I guess. Everyone has their own guide, own products and own methods so the abundance of info has caused an internal meltdown.

Thanks!! :waxing:

imported_themightytimmah
04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda paint is pretty soft so look for something that`s designed to finish down via DA. If you`re gonna stick with Collinite, 1z MP is a pretty good call.

ZoomBoy
04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I just had to decode your acronyms :chuckle:

Anyone else have some info?

Jscort98
04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
sonus sfx polishes are really good on soft paint.

detaildoc
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
sonus sfx polishes are really good on soft paint.

Agree! Sonus all the way on soft paint and thin paint.

ZoomBoy
04-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Sonus sounds good. So would I be buying the SFX-1, SFX-2 and SFX-3 bottles and applying in that order, then wax the car after?

detaildoc
04-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Sonus sounds good. So would I be buying the SFX-1, SFX-2 and SFX-3 bottles and applying in that order, then wax the car after?

You don`t need to apply SFX 1 unless you have severe swirls, scratches or if your paint is oxidized. Do SFX 2 then SFX 3.

ZoomBoy
04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Great, thanks for the help.

One last question - if I have a scratch on my car that is noticeable (but not deep). Would I use an orange pad on it or something with more cutting power?

Also, would I just work the scratch with the UDM, then do the usual correction around it which would be done on the rest of the car, or should I just use an orange pad and focus more on that area while I`m doing correction on the entire car?

ZoomBoy
04-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Bumping my post so I can get a quick answer :)

distrbd
04-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Great, thanks for the help.

One last question - if I have a scratch on my car that is noticeable (but not deep). Would I use an orange pad on it or something with more cutting power?

Also, would I just work the scratch with the UDM, then do the usual correction around it which would be done on the rest of the car, or should I just use an orange pad and focus more on that area while I`m doing correction on the entire car?

Do you feel the scratch with your fingernails?is so it`s too deep to remove it completely but you can still hide it.

The best pads for small scratches is 4" or 3.5" pads (spot buffing pads) if you don`t have them then use an orange pad with least aggressive polish like SSR1 or Meguiar`s #2 if it does not do it then go to a more aggressive SSR2.5..

The idea is to remove enough of the top clear-coat layer around the scratch to bring it to the same level as the scratch.

Then use some glaze to fill it and hide it.