PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a Paintwork Clay Pad

alowe
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Is this product any better/more productive/safer/faster, then using clay by hand. Seems it will be faster, but is it worth it?

Respect,

Andrew

9935annivgt
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Unless the paint is really contaminated, I really like using the TW Ice Liquid Clay product on a wet car, really works well for me and does not take as long in my opinion.

Accumulator
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
alowe- Somebody here (forget who it was...he`s been MIA for a few years...had a white Toyota pickup IIRC) liked that, but IMO it`s an answer in search of a question and a potential marring-machine.

Less control, more claying going on between kneadings, more pressure...all bad IMO. Once the clay picks up abrasive [stuff] it can turn into sandpaper, not something I want happening within the holding pad where I have less sensory control/info-transfer; I want to hear/see/feel what`s going on with every individual stroke.

alowe
04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
alowe- Somebody here (forget who it was...he`s been MIA for a few years...had a white Toyota pickup IIRC) liked that, but IMO it`s an answer in search of a question and a potential marring-machine.

Less control, more claying going on between kneadings, more pressure...all bad IMO. Once the clay picks up abrasive [stuff] it can turn into sandpaper, not something I want happening within the holding pad where I have less sensory control/info-transfer; I want to hear/see/feel what`s going on with every individual stroke.

That is what I was leaning to as well.

KnuckleBuckett
04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
That is how I felt about Ultima Elastrofoam.

LICamaro85
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Yea I`m not to sure about that pad. I feel like it would induce scratches unless every minute you take the clay out and flip it or fold it over and put it back in there. I also like to hear how it sounds as IMO that plays a huge role when your ok to stop claying.

But that is just me and my .02 in a 100 dollar world...

David Fermani
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I`ve used a clay pad via PC tons of times. Every time I ever used one, I always scratched my head asking myself why didn`t I just sand it instead. They work ok, BUT, they marr the heck out of that paint! Goes back to the search for the best way = the easiest & fastest way.

Accumulator
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I`ve used a clay pad via PC tons of times. Every time I ever used one, I always scratched my head asking myself why didn`t I just sand it instead...

Heh heh, I got a real kick out of that :lol