PDA

View Full Version : question about white paint

gkcomp22
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I just got my order the other day with my udm/polishes and I had a question about polishing white paint. The polishes i`m going to be working with are sip/106ff. The car i`ll be working on is a white ford explorer.

How can I tell if i`m breaking down the polish correctly on white paint? On all the videos I saw the polish was being applied to a darker color paint. Will it be hard to tell when the polish is broken down? Does anyone know of a video of someone polishing on lighter color paint?

I just want to know what to look for when polishing. Any advice would be appreciated.

gkcomp22
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
any suggestions? would a light help me see the polish breaking down easier?

Slik560
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a white car, and it`s a little difficult when working outside to see just when to stop. Working indoors makes it a lot easier, but if you have to stay outside, just keep looking at the pad and use some polarizing sunglasses if you can. Inside, put a light at an angle to where you`re working. In truth, experience is the only way to get a feel for working on white - I`m still an amateur. Good luck. After a few passes, you`ll get a feel for it. ;)

gkcomp22
04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Well i`m going to be working inside, but I was just looking for some advice from someone who worked with white paint before. Menzerna 106ff is a little darker than the Sip so maybe I`ll be able to see the different stages easier. The Sip looks almost white in color so that one might be a little harder to tell.

I`m just trying to figure out what i`m supposed to be looking for. What kid of light would be best to use? Halogen? Thanks for the help.

///alpinepower
04-17-2008, 10:06 PM
i have two white cars. it is easiest to do them at night or in a garage with dark walls because the light is easier to control. otherwise, you go blind looking at the paint and can`t see the swirls and scratches.

///alpinepower
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
and unfortunately, polished white cars look best at night.

Sprzout
04-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, if you`re like me, you just hope that the vehicle polishes up to where there`s a shine on the car! :) My gf has a 1999 white Toyota Corolla, and the only way that I could tell that the polish was breaking down correctly on the car was that the car was going from "oxidized" to "shiny", and that was with using ColorX on a PC 7424 & polishing pad. :)

Best I can tell you is, work at it, change your angle often to see if you can see the polish breaking down and getting the scratches/swirls out, or else just live with the light swirls that are going to be hard to see, except at the right angle, at night, etc...

gkcomp22
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
i have two white cars. it is easiest to do them at night or in a garage with dark walls because the light is easier to control. otherwise, you go blind looking at the paint and can`t see the swirls and scratches.

Would a garage with the door open with the sun shining in for light be good to see the polish breaking down? Or would you still need a halogen light or some other light at an angle towards the panel to see it working properly?

Whats kind of light would work best? Halogen, fluorescent? I`m going to try to polish this weekend so i`m making sure I have everything I need.

White sounds like a pain to polish, i`ll do my best though.

gkcomp22
04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, if you`re like me, you just hope that the vehicle polishes up to where there`s a shine on the car! :) My gf has a 1999 white Toyota Corolla, and the only way that I could tell that the polish was breaking down correctly on the car was that the car was going from "oxidized" to "shiny", and that was with using ColorX on a PC 7424 & polishing pad. :)

Best I can tell you is, work at it, change your angle often to see if you can see the polish breaking down and getting the scratches/swirls out, or else just live with the light swirls that are going to be hard to see, except at the right angle, at night, etc...

I was thinking the same thing. I`m hoping I don`t spend a lot of time and not be able to tell the difference. As long as the swirls are gone i`ll be happy. I`m thinking the 106ff and a white pad should be what I need. I`m not an expert so we`ll see how that works for me.

Thanks for the tip on changing the angle to see the polish breaking down properly. I`ll have to try it. We`ll see how it works out.