PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an adhesive?

tett
04-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I`ve got a 98 Crown Vic, and between the headlight and the fender is a strip of black rubber, almost like weather stripping. I would post pics but I can`t post them yet because of newbie status. The rubber attaches to the headlight... I guess it is to keep water out of the gap between the headlight and the fender...

Anyway, mine keeps falling out... Is there some kind of adhesive that`s good for holding that strip on? I tried just plain silicone, but it didn`t hold it.

Thanks.

David Fermani
04-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Go to your local painter`s supply store (Finish Master?) and get some 3M Universal or Super Fast Adhesive. That molding won`t ever come off then.

BigJimZ28
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I tried just plain silicone, but it didn`t hold it.

did you clean & prep the surface?

did you tape it in place for 24 Hours to set & cure?

silicone should work just fine

it is used in store fronts to hold 100`s of pounds of glass in place

salty
04-16-2008, 11:58 PM
If possible scuff the surfaces before glueing. I always use GOOP for such things.

tett
04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the tips...

Nope, didn`t prep at all, so that could be it there... didn`t even think about it actually, but it does make sense.

Thanks.

Tett

David Fermani
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
If you use the right product, all you`ll need is maybe some adhesion promoter. You won`t need to scuff (damage) the surface to make it stick.

salty
04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
David you are talking about $40 of 3M stuff. Scuffing what you can`t see isn`t damage in my book.

David Fermani
04-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Any time you`re sanding the surface enough to promote adhesion, you`re using a pretty abrasive paper (~600 grit). It`s really not necessary to go that route & it`s not common practice in attaching a piece of trim or molding. Use a General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to clean the both suraces 1st. Then, either use 2 sided molding tape or a 3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive. Either one is way less than $5.

tett
04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks gents... I`ve heard of the 3M adhesives before and even seen my uncle use it when he was putting an interior back in his TR4... so maybe he has some sitting around...

anyway, thanks for all the help.