PDA

View Full Version : Sponge or mitt?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_sal329
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
What do you use to wash a car? I was looking at the grout sponge from Lowes but then I came across a nice MF Sponge, then the mitt caught my eye. Just tryin to see what everyone else is using?

jester7677
04-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a black car and have found that I get my best results with a Cotton fiber mitt. Wool mitt leaves spider webs. I`d be fearful of a micro fiber mitt as cheap MF will leave spider webs as well.

imported_Chris223
04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I`m looking to try that Lowes GS. But for now, I bought 2 of the Sonus Wool Mitts from autopia like 2 years ago when they had a sale on them. I`m still on the first one, with the other still in its shrink wrapping. It`s been a great mitt, nice a soft, washes easily. But I found a mitt at Advance Auto Parts that`s essentially the EXACT same thing, for like $4/ea. I hope that one of the 2 Lowes stores in my area carry that GS.

BigAl3
04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/101657-better-grout-sponge.html?highlight=grout

NCZ13
04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
use the HD grout sponge, and was pleasantly surprised...

jesselyons2002
04-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Went from HD grout sponge to shmitts.

NSXTASY
04-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Went from HD grout sponge to shmitts.

Shmitts are outstanding for conventional shampoo washing. The Grout Sponge Schmitt is also excellent, as are the whites.

I like sponges and nice sheepskin mitts for ONR.

SOCALEXO
04-17-2008, 03:36 AM
I use the lowes grout sponges -- no problems so far (2+ yrs now). No marring, spider-webbing NADA. Just don`t use Sea Sponges they will mar your finish....c`mon it

lives(d) in sand :lol:lol:lol

deathlok
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I use a regular mf towel folded in quart. (I think I am the only one but it works ok for me and because mf is so cheap I change it every two to three months)

Macruz19
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I have the Lowes GS, and a Vroom chenille wash mit. I prefer the GS on my car.

citizen arcane
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Both. I use wool when no grit is present - gently sliding in back and forth motions as I go. If there`s grit then I use a GS on the bottom 2/3 of the car (think below side windows) making 2 or 3 passes using gentle pressure and same technique.

Wasatch
04-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I use a sheepskin mitt.

Rob Tomlin
04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I received my ONR and will probably be using it for the first time this weekend. What should I use: MF towel, chenille wash mitt, GS, or genuine sheepskin?

ron231
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I use a sheepskin mitt.

They are without a doubt the best.

Grout sponge is a fad, if 2 years ago I came on here and said hey guys I use a sponge to wash my car, everyone would go on saying that you need to have nap (be it in sheepskin or thick microfiber) to trap the dirt particles to keep them from scratching the surrface...

And you know what

That`s true! You do need nap to keep the dirt particles away from the surface to prevent swirling/ scratching, especially with ONR and this is coming from someone who is very experienced with ONR.

You can pry my sheepskin from my cold, dead hands!

Rob Tomlin
04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
They are without a doubt the best.

Grout sponge is a fad, if 2 years ago I came on here and said hey guys I use a sponge to wash my car, everyone would go on saying that you need to have nap (be it in sheepskin or thick microfiber) to trap the dirt particles to keep them from scratching the surrface...

And you know what

That`s true! You do need nap to keep the dirt particles away from the surface to prevent swirling/ scratching, especially with ONR and this is coming from someone who is very experienced with ONR.

You can pry my sheepskin from my cold, dead hands!

Thanks Ron. I have tried the GS, and although I can`t say that it caused any marring, it sure didn`t feel quite right. It didn`t seem to release enough of the soapy water onto the surface, and seems to drag across the surface compared to my sheepskin.