PDA

View Full Version : Out of game for over 10 years - Need product help

Pages : [1] 2

alowe
04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Have not done cars for over 10 years, just back from Iraq and Afghanistan (extended tour :))

So with all the new stuff on the market, I am in the need of polish and wax. Looking for polish and synthetic wax for a new VW, color us united grey. I will be using a UDM with sonus pads.

Thanks fellas,

Andrew

VroooomCrash
04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Hooah,

I would go with Klasse or Zaino - depending on your preferences. Both should work well on that color. Welcome back.

Steven

alowe
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks man!

Strange being back in the US, but loving every minute of it!

Klasse was one I was looking at as well as Zaino and Chemical Guys.

I have some Sonus paintwork cleanser and NXT now and it works nice. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my paint. Want to keep paint clean and protected GOOD. Thanks

Andrew

imported_themightytimmah
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
There are a ton of great options out there right now, depending on what you want to spend and where you sit on the durability/looks choice.

Personally, I find myself going with Poli-Seal/Opti-seal on a lot of the grey cars that I see. Zaino is also a fine choice - it`ll last longer than the O twins, it`s glossier by a hair, but it`s more involved application-wise and it`s not as wet.

The K-twins are a generation behind, IMHO. I did a car with AIO/SG last weekend (customer request), and I forgot how much harder they were to work with. Did leave a good looking finish, but a wash and wax shouldn`t take 2.5 hours.

I`ve never been particularly pleased with any of CG`s sealants (durability), but their waxes are great.

For your color, you might really want to look into Danase Wet Glaze. It`ll add a bit of spice to the color with minimal hassle and without really affecting the durability of the sealant. I`d be hard pressed not to go with ZPC -> DWG -> Z5PRO -> Z2PRO x2 -> Z8. Might take a little while the first time, but it`ll last half a year plus.

alowe
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I notice many synthetic sealant/wax`s are now coming in spray. I am old school and only used liquid or clay on orbitals for years. Are sprays good for durability. I am looking for a good paint cleaner/polish and a durable sealer/wax. I would be using touchup srays inbetween waxings of course.

VroooomCrash
04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks man!

Strange being back in the US, but loving every minute of it!

Klasse was one I was looking at as well as Zaino and Chemical Guys.

I have some Sonus paintwork cleanser and NXT now and it works nice. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my paint. Want to keep paint clean and protected GOOD. Thanks

Andrew

Just have fun watching the news and wondering if you were in the same countries they are talking about.:think: Hopefully you will be spending some good time stateside before going back (which hopefully won`t happen :))

NXT is a good product too, there are many excellent products on the market. It all comes down to your preferences in terms of shine/etc... I like the Zaino line because just about every product they carry works pretty well (tire dressing/leather conditioner/etc...) and it is all fairly affordable which makes for some easy one stop shopping (the local Zaino guy delivers for free too!).

Klasse is a pain, but I have found it good at the dark gray with a touch of gold (which is about what I remember the United Gray looking like).

WRT spray: I do not keep up on the latest. I enjoy waxing my car and my prep is so extensive and time consuming that the time to quickly work whatever it is I am using all over the car is really relaxing.

Steven

jshillin
04-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Polish: SIP & 106FF

For LSP I`d look into Collinite 845 or JW Prime Acrylic and AJT.

alowe
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the help guys, only one thing.

I have no idea what all these shortened terms mean :)

ducktail
04-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Did someone say spray. Look no further than Duragloss Aquawax. I used it in the past and like it very much. I`m experimenting with zaino and nuba wax and dont want to skew the results. When that is done I`ll be using it after a wash as a touch up. It looks great on grey and you can get it over the counter. I didn`t use any acronyms as I noticed you are `new` and at the beginning it drove me crazy figurein what everyone was talking about.

look up - AW - Aguawax

The zaino I used - ZAIO - Zaino all in one, Z5 - that is the actual name

nuba - hope that is not an acronym, means carnuaba (I`ve no idea how to spell it without a dictionary) wax - I used meguiars #16

cheers

ducktail
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh sorry did not answer your question.

Go to the top of the forum, there is a `sticky` called Acronym Decoder that will help.

jshillin
04-16-2008, 08:52 AM
SIP = Menzerna Super Intense Polish

106FF = Menzerna Nano Polish

JW = Jeff`s Werkstat

AJT = JW Acrylic Jett Trigger

alowe
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks fellas. I must admit, this is a VERY nice and friendly forum. I have been on others where I would have been flamed for asking these questions.

Respect,

Andrew

alowe
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
So what is real good on VW paint, 08 models?

VroooomCrash
04-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Whatever floats your boat :) Most of the stuff mentioned looks good. I am partial to Zaino on silvers/metallics for the durability and ease in putting together everything you need. If you have to do intensive polishing, you might need something with a bit more cut as the VW paint is usually pretty hard compared to the Japanese stuff.

SuperBee364
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I can`t add anything to what everyone has already suggested.... Just wanted to say thanks for serving, man, and welcome home!