PDA

View Full Version : Inside Glass Haze?

imported_DieselMDX
04-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Just detailed a 07 saturn with about 2,000 miles on it. Cleaned interior with z9/z10 wipe down with 303 and cleaned glass inside and out with IG. The owner was in Florida so parked it in the garage until he returned from vacation in about 2.5 weeks.

He called me today and was very happy with the car but said there was a fog or film on the inside of the glass, I told him i will fix it and do a free wash for his trouble.

I know I cleaned the glass the same way i always do and have never had this problem, could the problem be the cleaning and protectants where out gassing while sitting in the garage for 2.5 weeks and the windows and doors never opened?

thanx

imported_Shea Luxury
04-15-2008, 04:13 AM
Its very possible. It`s the same result from new cars too which emits some of the chemical from its leather, vinyl, carpet etc. Probably with the fresh treatment of cleaners and protectants then immediate lock up for a long period of time caused it...like you already suspect.

Setec Astronomy
04-15-2008, 06:57 AM
That`s why I always try to be sparing with interior protectants.

Mindflux
04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
It could be outgassing from product or simply polyvinyl haze. Which is just outgassing from the actual materials on the dashboard. Fairly common to see.

BobD
04-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, sounds like out gassing from the glues and materials to me.

RTexasF
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree, do tell him that it will continue to do that for some time since the car is new.

SuperBee364
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Just detailed a 07 saturn with about 2,000 miles on it. Cleaned interior with z9/z10 wipe down with 303 and cleaned glass inside and out with IG. The owner was in Florida so parked it in the garage until he returned from vacation in about 2.5 weeks.

He called me today and was very happy with the car but said there was a fog or film on the inside of the glass, I told him i will fix it and do a free wash for his trouble.

I know I cleaned the glass the same way i always do and have never had this problem, could the problem be the cleaning and protectants where out gassing while sitting in the garage for 2.5 weeks and the windows and doors never opened?

thanx

Diesel, this wasn`t anything you did. Alot of cars (*all* of my Toyotas), have interior materials that outgas a type of vinyl gas. It collects on all window surfaces, but especially the front windhshield. When it`s warm/hot outside, the process ocurs much faster. It typically will stop happening over time. How much time that takes is variable. I had a Toyota Celica for 12 years, and it did it for nine years.

You should take the time to explain to the owner what he`s seeing.

imported_DieselMDX
04-15-2008, 10:54 PM
He called me today and I talked to him for a bit I explained what I think was the problem and he understood I offered to clean the windows and give her a wash and he said didnt want that he had already wiped down the windows himself. I thanked him for understanding but I guess he cant be dissapointed he referred me 2 customers :-)

Thanx for the advice guys

RRandal
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I`m new to the forum, but has anyone else noticed that the haze appears to be worsened by the use of the window shades placed in the windshield? My wife and I have been noticing that if we don`t put the shade in her Honda, that there is WAY LESS haze than when we do. Her shade by the way is one of the 2 piece flexible hoops covered with a silver side and a dark side. We place the silver side out.

Rodney