PDA

View Full Version : cure time

gocubbies
04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
i hear everyone talking about laying down a sealant then nuba twice. i am just wondering how you do it? i mean everyone always says cure time is 12-24 hours. does that mean you let the product sit on the vehicle hazed up for 12-24 hours? or is that 12-24 hours after removing product? how do you keep customers for that long? cause when you add up all the cure time plus the time it took to detail the vehicle you looking at like 40 plus hours.

aprox 4-6 hours detailing

aprox 12-24 sealant cure time

aprox 12-24 hours nuba cure time

aprox 12-24 hours 2nd layer nuba cure time.

that comes to anywhere from 36 hours all the way up to 78 hours. thats 2.5 to 3.25days

Legacy
04-14-2008, 11:33 PM
i hear everyone talking about laying down a sealant then nuba twice. i am just wondering how you do it? i mean everyone always says cure time is 12-24 hours. does that mean you let the product sit on the vehicle hazed up for 12-24 hours? or is that 12-24 hours after removing product? how do you keep customers for that long? cause when you add up all the cure time plus the time it took to detail the vehicle you looking at like 40 plus hours.

aprox 4-6 hours detailing

aprox 12-24 sealant cure time

aprox 12-24 hours nuba cure time

aprox 12-24 hours 2nd layer nuba cure time.

that comes to anywhere from 36 hours all the way up to 78 hours. thats 2.5 to 3.25days

Yes, most sealants do take 12 hrs. to cure, however waxes don`t have a cure time. Some waxes require to let haze before wiping. BTW you do not wait 12 hrs. before wiping.

gocubbies
04-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, most sealants do take 12 hrs. to cure, however waxes don`t have a cure time. Some waxes require to let haze before wiping. BTW you do not wait 12 hrs. before wiping.

so you apply the sealant let it haze wipe off then wait 12hours before topping?

Legacy
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM
so you apply the sealant let it haze wipe off then wait 12hours before topping?

I`ve been using UPGP, it`s a wowa sealant. Takes about 10 min. to do the whole car. Apply and walk away.

gocubbies
04-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I`ve been using UPGP, it`s a wowa sealant. Takes about 10 min. to do the whole car. Apply and walk away.

can you go over it right away with a wax?

Accumulator
04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
With sealants, I`ve never noticed a difference between waiting to buff off the excess and waiting *after* I`ve done that, but note that I apply such products *extremely* thin.

And I never had problems applying a wax right after applying/buffing my KSG (the wax didn`t affect a solvent action on the KSG, at least not that I could tell).

Waxes might not "cure" (I don`t know the science behind that subject and who *really* knows what all goes into today`s "waxes" :nixweiss) but most will do better if you wait a while between applications/layers (yeah, I`ll say "layers" with no apologies).

If you want/need to apply wax again before much time has passed, I`d use the spit-shine method (see Nick T`s thread) or the pseudo-spitshine method (where you don`t really work the wax until it disappears but still use some "spit" to mitigate any solvent-effect).

Regarding Ultima stuff, I`d ask David B, he oughta know.

itb76
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I guess it depends on the sealant you`re using. I clayed & polished last Sunday, gave a quick ONR wash, applied Opti-Seal then topped with 845 about two hours after that. Seemed to work fine. IIRC someone else topped OS with a carnauba after two hours in a recent C&B.

RedlineG37
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I`d like to add another question to sealing cure times. After you seal and wait for the 12 hours, do you guys still drive the car? Are you leaving it in your garage? I am guessing you wash again before you apply the second coat of wax/sealent?

Thanks

RedlineG37
04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Can anyone answer my last question? Thanks!

Eliot Ness
04-17-2008, 08:36 AM
................I am guessing you wash again before you apply the second coat of wax/sealent?...........If the car is driven before the next coat then I`ll wash it. If I have just let the car sit in the garage then I`ll just do a quick QD (or S&W) to get any light dust off first. Since the dust is usually so slight I`ll sometimes lightly use a car duster.

Accumulator
04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I`d like to add another question to sealing cure times. After you seal and wait for the 12 hours, do you guys still drive the car? Are you leaving it in your garage? I am guessing you wash again before you apply the second coat of wax/sealent?

Thanks

No, I don`t drive it until I have a few layers on there. I`ll QD/ONR if I suspect it might`ve gotten dusty. IF I can, I`ll leave it in the shop all week and go for ~6 layers for KSG, but with UPP I settle for 2-3 as I know it`ll need refreshed again soon no matter what. With Collinite waxes I do whatever`s convenient as even *one* coat of those provides a lot of protection.

Then I add another layer after each of the next few washes.

KnuckleBuckett
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I try to get a solid three day weekend for my 4x application of UPGP. I don`t drive it, and keep the ceiling fans on (my garage has 2). I would NOT apply a wax, glaze or sealant on top of UPGP until the requisite 12 hours.

2 x UPGP

2 x DWG

2 x UPGP

Is my latest cocktail.

Twista616
04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
My question and not to thread jack here, but how do these people leave there cars for days at a time?? Unless they are garage queens, then I can see that being OK. Most people are like, "what could you possibly be doing for 8-10 hours on a car! Thne I invite them to stay and watch, they always decline for some reason!!! Haha :)

mhadden
04-17-2008, 06:28 PM
What I`ve been doing for customer cars is applying a wax of their choice then applying UPGP on top...its really the only option I have unless I get to keep the car for a day or more, which has only happened for those "Sunday drive" cars.

Accumulator
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
My question and not to thread jack here, but how do these people leave there cars for days at a time??

In my case it`s the "redundant systems" approach applied to vehicles; I have spares.