PDA

View Full Version : my 2nd `pro` detail

dublifecrisis
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
only call it professional cuz I got paid for it:chuckle: I`m far from being a pro. I just did a black CTS last Friday and I posted my thoughts on that as far as lessons learned etc...Well, I must have picked up some mental and physical gains from the CTS because I did a Red/Burgundy Chevy Avalance today and I do`t feel as fatigued after this job. I did the same process which was the normal wash/clay, 2 step via PC and Menzerna IP/FP combo applied with LC 5.5 inch orange and white pads. A coat of NXT 2.0 liquid was applied by hand. I`ll get some pics up tomorrow as I was using a different camera today. Other standard stuff with the interior, wheels, tires etc..won`t bore you with my OTC product smorgasboard:chuckle:

In the meantime, I wanted to mention that I did not have as much luck getting rid of the swirls as I did on the CTS Even after 3 passes with the orange pad, I still saw plenty of little scratches. I got rid of MAYBE 80%. Guess it`s either 1)me still beign a newb or 2) The Intensive polish saw it`s limits...or maybe a little of both. I tried a couple different methods to correct: more pressure, slower passes, little left/right jiggles as I moved. oh well, good practice at least.

The other little quirk was ALL the OEM plastic grey moldings that are on the gen 1 Avalanche were custom painted to match the rest of the truck. Following some Autopian`s advice I got over the weekend, I only hit this with the finishing polish and a white pad.

pics tomorrow I hope. sorry to be so longwinded.

dublifecrisis
04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
ok, so tomorrow turned into more than a week. Here`s the results of my 2nd real detail ever. I`ve since taken on a 3rd which was a 2000ish F-150. More on that in a different thread.

This Avalanche got the normal wash/clay/2 step/NXT 2.0. This truck required special care because of the painted plastic that comes OEM on the 1st gen avalanche as textured plastic. and there was plenty of the plastic stuff all over this truck originally.

Still pic challenged so maybe someone can slap these on the page for me to save some clicks. I have these on photobucket but I can`t figure out how to get them right on the page full size.