PDA

View Full Version : ONR 1, me 0

Pages : [1] 2 3

nmxdaven
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Well I just tried my first ONR wash, but it scared me off. I tried both a grout sponge and a mitt.

1. How wet should my grout sponge be? Should it be soaking or not?

2. How often should I clean the media? A few times a panel for a simi-dirty car?

3.It really feels like I`m marring the vehicle. Does it just feel that way and you get used to it?

johnson
04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Optimum No Rinse Demo (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-744800996428313622)

Macruz19
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Watch the video. You`ll figure out on your own how to use ONR "your way".

Some people pre soak panels using ONR QD strength, and some just goes straight to washing. Some like to ONR the whole car before drying including myself. You just have to actually use it a few times to get the hang of it and use a step by step plan for your car.

nmxdaven
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
After watching that and giving weekendwarrior`s guide another read through I attempted it on my car. (I always try new stuff on the GF`s car first.)

After using the grout sponge mostly the first time, I switched to a sheepskin mitt. I didn`t like the sponge all that much. The flat panels look great, but I had a bit of trouble getting all the nooks and crannies cleaned. Oh well, I`m sure I`ll get better. I was so scared I was going to mar the crap out of my paint I went through 7 Gallons of the ONR solution on my tiny daily driver focus. :lol I have to say though, I have absolutely no water spots, even in texas sun. :woot2:

One issue though, the rinse water stayed pretty clean, but my mitt was black after words. Two soaks in hot water and its still pretty grimy. Anyone else get this? Whats the best way to get everything clean?

imported_altez
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
APC works pretty well from what I hear. I just use the dawn power dissolve to clean up mitts, it might be tough on the mitts but I have plenty in stock.

Legacy
04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
After watching that and giving weekendwarrior`s guide another read through I attempted it on my car. (I always try new stuff on the GF`s car first.)

After using the grout sponge mostly the first time, I switched to a sheepskin mitt. I didn`t like the sponge all that much. The flat panels look great, but I had a bit of trouble getting all the nooks and crannies cleaned. Oh well, I`m sure I`ll get better. I was so scared I was going to mar the crap out of my paint I went through 7 Gallons of the ONR solution on my tiny daily driver focus. :lol I have to say though, I have absolutely no water spots, even in texas sun. :woot2:

One issue though, the rinse water stayed pretty clean, but my mitt was black after words. Two soaks in hot water and its still pretty grimy. Anyone else get this? Whats the best way to get everything clean?

That is the only problem that I have found with ONR. You have to clean your washing media be it a mit, mf, or GS. I just use plain old Dawn and it works.

stealthtt
04-15-2008, 05:54 AM
After ONR, I soak washmitt in a bucket mix with normal carwash shampoo for like an hour then hand wash.

imported_weekendwarrior
04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
nmxdaven - I sent you a PM

Regarding ONR, and the sheepskin mitt...I have been using QEW for a long time, and just added ONR to the mix a couple of months ago. It has been my experience that with ONR, the mitt doesn`t come out of the rinse bucket as cleanly as it does with QEW. Now, ONR does appear to be a "slicker" product, so the fact that the mitt appears dirty, has not caused any marring on my dark colored Honda (soft paint). One option is to rotate 2 or 3 sheepskin mitts throughout the wash, if the car is very dirty, or if this bothers you. ONR also appears to leave a slicker finish.

When using ONR, I have to wash my mitt after washing the car. I just clean it in the sink with warm water, some dishwashing detergent, and really work the mitt with my fingers to get it clean. When I use QEW, the water in the rinse bucket gets much dirtier, and my mitt looks pretty clean after washing an "averagely" dirty car.

sinbad
04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I use QEW (but have ONR in stock to comparison next time) and 2 buckets (1 with QEW and 1 with plain water) . When my car needs washing from our Chicago winter salt grime, I pre-soak panels using a weed sprayer. My sheepskin mitt does get very dirty with just 1-2 swipes. I rinse in the mitt in plain water bucket, then dip in QEW bucket to swipe the car again. I usually dry before moving onto next panel. I dump the plain water bucket and refill as needed. When the car is not as dirty, I just use 1 bucket with QEW using a grit guard.

RikBakke
04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I always spray the thick, muddy, gritty stuff with ONR in detail strength (6 oz to the gallon I think). Then I gingerly get it off with a soft terry towel. then I ONR the car. Often, i will ONR detail spray the car, being liberal with the spray, without doing an ONR bucket wash. Anyway, I find ONR detail spray to be great for surface cleaning. I usually follow up with an FK425 detail or AquaWax spray. I can`t remember the last time I LSP`ed my G35.

SuperBee364
04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Well I just tried my first ONR wash, but it scared me off. I tried both a grout sponge and a mitt.

1. How wet should my grout sponge be? Should it be soaking or not?

2. How often should I clean the media? A few times a panel for a simi-dirty car?

3.It really feels like I`m marring the vehicle. Does it just feel that way and you get used to it?

That`s exactly how I felt the first, I dunno, hundred times I used it. Still do, really. I have a hard time convincing myself to do an ONR wash everytime.

I tried using grout sponges and other types of wash media, but in the end, I`m back to using just a plain old MF (as the directions on the side of the bottle say to use). It works great.

I still ONR only when absolutely necessary, although I do use it as an almost-daily upkeep on my wheels.

nmxdaven
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks again weekendwarrior!

Well it eventually came clean with some dawn. Sure was tough though.

That`s exactly how I felt the first, I dunno, hundred times I used it. Still do, really. I have a hard time convincing myself to do an ONR wash everytime.

I tried using grout sponges and other types of wash media, but in the end, I`m back to using just a plain old MF (as the directions on the side of the bottle say to use). It works great.

I still ONR only when absolutely necessary, although I do use it as an almost-daily upkeep on my wheels.

Well I`m trying to make ONR my usual wash. Our Texas summers and my lack of available shade makes a conventional wash a battle against water spots. (without waking up at 4 AM anyhoo) Too bad, as I loved my new foam gun in the winter months.

Superbee: From reading your threads you seem to be one of the best "mar experts" on here. Did you notice any from your ONR washes? Or are you just precautious?

SuperBee364
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks again weekendwarrior!

Well it eventually came clean with some dawn. Sure was tough though.

Well I`m trying to make ONR my usual wash. Our Texas summers and my lack of available shade makes a conventional wash a battle against water spots. (without waking up at 4 AM anyhoo) Too bad, as I loved my new foam gun in the winter months.

Superbee: From reading your threads you seem to be one of the best "mar experts" on here. Did you notice any from your ONR washes? Or are you just precautious?

Actually, I think the best term would be "mar coward". :)

I was afraid the "did you notice any marring from your ONR washes?" question would eventually come up. I`ve been avoiding it on purpose to prevent a possible flame war. I`ve also noticed that there`s a famous Autopian here that also seems to avoid/sidestep/whistle innocently whenever serious ONR questions come up. He shall remain nameless, but he tends to accumulate stuff.

The answer is yes. I have noticed some marring from ONR washes. Now this could be due to *several* different reasons, and that`s why I haven`t really mentioned it. It could be my washing technique, something in my MF that I`m using to wash with, some sort of unusually sharp contaminant on the surface of the car, the position of the Sun and Venus, etc. There are so many variables to consider. But, the fact remains that I have seen some marring from ONR washing. Nothing serious, however. Just minor swirling that comes out with PO106FF readily.

My technique with ONR is:

Spray down each panel with QD strength ONR.

Wipe each panel down gently with a dripping wet MF from the ONR bucket.

Rinse and squeeze out the MF, get it dripping wet again, and redo the same panel.

Dry the panel with a clean MF.

I only use distilled water, too.

There are *alot* of people here that use ONR, and have never marred a car in the process. Then there are ham-fisted hacks like me that seem to be able to mar paint by giving it a stern look. So please keep that in mind when you decide to continue using ONR or not. It really is a break through product with alot of followers. I guess it`s just like using any other detailing product; you just gotta be careful. :)

nmxdaven
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
There are *alot* of people here that use ONR, and have never marred a car in the process. Then there are ham-fisted hacks like me that seem to be able to mar paint by giving it a stern look. So please keep that in mind when you decide to continue using ONR or not. It really is a break through product with alot of followers. I guess it`s just like using any other detailing product; you just gotta be careful. :)

Well, as long as it doesn`t cause the maring it feels like it is, I`m happy. I try to be as realistic as I can in my circumstance. Minor marring and a polish every now and then is much better than a water spot covered car. Until I get done with grad school and acquire a well paying job my obsession has to stay realistic. :cry:

Thanks for the info, I think I`ll try the MF towel method on my next wash.

imported_Denzil
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
A MF towel, MF mitt, or sheepskin mitt go well with ONR as well.