PDA

View Full Version : can`t get the wax out of polishing pad

PoorOwner
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Just used Mez FMJ on a red OEM style pad, the FMJ is amazing, it`s does not even feel like a wax, more like a lotion.

I am not sure if I used too much, it`s hard to see what got on the car, but when finished I saw some of it through the thin OEM style pad and got on the velcro pad. Am I using too much then?

I have a hard time washing the pad, i can squeeze under the tap warm water, and lot of wax come out, the pads are expensive and I want to keep it nice! Please give me some ideas how to wash it properly.

Eliot Ness
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Try some Dawn Power Dissolver to clean your pad:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83734-dawn-power-dissolver.html

jshillin
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you used WAY to much... Spray it down with the dawn power dissolver, let is soak for a while and wash it with hot water, see what happens. Keep squeezing the pad and working it out until the product no longer comes out of the pad.

Macruz19
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes Dawn power dissolver. I spray my pad with it, let it sit for a few mins, and put them in my pad washing mix. I scrub with a brush and it`s almost 100% clean. I air dry mine as well.

PoorOwner
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like powerful stuff.

For the FMJ, the pad didn`t feel so moist so I put a small penny size drop when doing a new panel.. turns out it was too much when done.

SuperBee364
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
As Eliot Ness said, Dawn Power Desolver really is great stuff. A client`s car dripped oil all over my driveway and garage a couple weeks ago. The Power Desolver did a great job of cleaning it up.

It can, however, be a bit of a pain to get out of pads. It`s kinda hard to rinse it out, the foam seems to never end.

You might want to try some Snappy Pad pad cleaner. It takes just about anything out of pads and rinses away readily.

PoorOwner
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I got some snappy pad powder with my order about $1 a pack, I think the dawn sounds cheaper to use though.

I am going to try walmart but not sure here in the green loving land of CA, we might have pulled them off the shelf.

Eliot Ness
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
................You might want to try some Snappy Pad pad cleaner. It takes just about anything out of pads and rinses away readily.
I got some snappy pad powder with my order about $1 a pack, I think the dawn sounds cheaper to use though.............Just an FYI. I also have some of the Snappy Pad Cleaner but I didn`t like messing with those packets since I didn`t always mix up a full batch (3-4 gallons). I then picked up a jar of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html) from AG. Seems like the same stuff from Snappy (it is even made by Snappy) but since it comes in a 16 oz. jar (scoop included for measuring) it is, IMHO, easier to deal with than the little packets.

SuperBee364
04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Just an FYI. I also have some of the Snappy Pad Cleaner but I didn`t like messing with those packets since I didn`t always mix up a full batch (3-4 gallons). I then picked up a jar of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html) from AG. Seems like the same stuff from Snappy (it is even made by Snappy) but since it comes in a 16 oz. jar (scoop included for measuring) it is, IMHO, easier to deal with than the little packets.

I gotta get a jar of this... Thanks, Eliot, I hate using a whole packet at a time, too.

PoorOwner
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
OK I got the dawn power dissolver at walmart, $1.98!

basic question, how do you use it, do you just spray it on the pad and then leave it a while and rinse it? I waited 15 minutes and I rinsed, didn`t see much foam.. I just don`t want any residue of the product to hurt my car`s finish if I didn`t get it all out.

Macruz19
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Spray some on the stains.. and soak it in water or your cleaning soloution, and scrub with a soft brush. Once it`s clean I dump it in a gallon size container of water, and ring it up until there`s no more soap. You may have to do do this a couple times to get them clean.

Z06_Pilot
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
yea, the DP stuff is good and convenient. many times, I am doing just one of my cars at a time, so I might only have two pads to clean. Half a scoop in a 2 gallon bucket, and let them soak overnight.....

a 16 oz. container has lasted me 3 years already, and there is still 2/3`s of it left!

Macruz19
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
The DP stuff is what I use for my cleaning solution.