PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the new machine polishes available

Pages : [1] 2

TGates
04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I am needing a new machine polish to use on my Corvettes. They have the typical hard clearcoats and are silver in color.

I am interested in the new Meg`s polishes, but am not too familiar with them, and I am also interested in the SIP/106 combo. I am open to any suggestions, however.

I do all my work with a PC and UDM. The cars have typical light towelling marks but no major blemishes. The problem is the hard clearcoat and D/A combo means I need a pretty aggressive product to remove any towelling marks.

I`m needing something to cut through the hard clear and also something that finishes down to an LSP ready finish. Two steps is fine, but one step would be better.

TGates
04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Okay, I was just kidding, don`t talk to me about them.

Way2SSlow
04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Nobody is gushing about M105 and UF on this thread. I am stil working through my stock of OP and HTEC. I`ve got a little too much left to just go out and buy Autopia`s current 1-2 punch at the moment, but I`m suprised that no one else has jumped all over this thread to talk the new polishes.

Accumulator
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Way2SSlow- Heh heh, that`s what I was thinking :D And I too have way too much H-T EC/etc. to run out and get the latest whiz-bang products...though I did buy some 1Z High Gloss for a finishing polish and I gotta say it`s really nice stuff.

BlackSunshine- The two combos that come to mind are:

Meg`s M105 followed by 3M Utlrafina

IZ Intensive followed by 1Z High Gloss

But those are for rotary-based approaches and I sorta doubt that you can distill things down to two steps without doing it by rotary. That 1Z High Gloss sure doesn`t do any correction on Audi clear via PC/Cyclo so I`d guess that you`d need a middle step.

SuperBee364
04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
BlackSunshine, the board has been very quiet lately. Anyway...

As you know, Corvette clear is some of the hardest out there. So you definitely need to get polishes that have the most umph in their respective classes. Right now, they are pretty much:

Compound: Meguiars M105

Medium Polish: Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and Einszett Intensive Paste

Finishing Polishes: 3M Ultrafina, Menzerna PO105FF (Nano Polish), 1Z Hochglanz

Ultra Fine Polish: Mernzerna PO85RD *NOT* PO85RD 3.01 or 3.02

All of these polishes (except the M105 and Ultrafina) are specifically marketed toward hard clear coats. Since you are using a DA style machine, it is even more important that you stay with polishes in the above list; you want to have the most correction you can get with whatever polish you are using as DA`s don`t have much correction ability to start with.

ptaylor_9849
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
From one vette owner to another I can make the following suggestion. If what you want is a one step approach then that is a tall order on a vette. However, my one step approach would be 106ff with a purple foamed/wool pad. There is enough bite to the pad for correction yet it still finishes down LSP ready. That advice is given after many months of trial and error.

Patrick

TGates
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys. I am on sort of a mini Meg`s kick right now so I may look into the 105 and the 3M Ultrafina.

I have also been pleased with most all of the 1Z products I have tried, so I will kick around those suggestions, too.

What pads are working well with the 105 and Ultrafina?

Rob Tomlin
04-15-2008, 01:57 PM
SIP followed by Nano polish is an amazing combination, I can tell you that!

imported_themightytimmah
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Last Corvette I did worked great with SIP/Ultrafina, but that was via rotary. If you have to work via dual action, I found that 106ff beat out Ultrafina (the owner did some polishing via Cyclo and Green Edge).

TGates
04-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I have been putting off the fact that I really need to learn the rotary..... but, I REALLY do need to learn the rotary!

imported_Denzil
04-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Hehe, the rotary is fun stuff. It`s definitely a great thing to be cutting down on your correction times!

TGates
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah... I just don`t want my cars to be the guinea pigs!

imported_Denzil
04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Heh, that`s understandable. But have some faith in yourself! :lol

imported_themightytimmah
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah... I just don`t want my cars to be the guinea pigs!

Oh cmon, you can`t go too wrong on Corvette clear. Consider starting out with Ultrafina and 3M`s blue pad - I got my buddy up and running with that combo in 45 minutes of instruction.

TGates
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Haha, you guys are awfully motivational.

I can buy a Hitachi locally from Sparkle Auto. I have not put much research (okay, any research at all) into rotaries so I guess I`ve got some reading to do.