PDA

View Full Version : Got a PC, but also ALOT of deep swirls...

jared6180
04-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey, I just bought a 95 Mustang, its white, with black leather. I have 2 concerns...

1. The leather seems VERY dry, and kind of hard. Wondering how I can get it softer and more supple.

2 The exterior has ALOT of deep scratches and swirl marks, the GREAT news is that none really seem to go to the metal, so can you guys help me out? I need a step by step as I hove done cars before, but never a white car, and never one that I wanted to keep for a long time. Please list ALL chemicals, pads and the process.

I have tried meguires stuff and they dont seem to work for me.

Oh, and can you tell me about the 1-6 speeds on the PC? how many RPMS is 1-2-3, and so forth.

Thank you for all your help.

Jared

imported_DieselMDX
04-14-2008, 12:59 AM
leatherique is the product u want for your leather

wash

clay

wash

megs 105 orange/yellow pad

menzerna SIP orange pad

menzerna 106ff white pad

LSP

Use speed 6 there is no other speed needed :-)

btw search is your friend use it :-)

Todd@RUPES
04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
A couple things... If you are unsure of what the speed dial on the PC means, then I`m not sure if Meguiars` is the problem or if your lack of experience is the problem. The reason I say this is not to insult you, but because for begineers with the PC, I really feel Meguiars #83 and #80 are phenominal products that are very begineer friendly when used on the Meguiars 8006 or Lake Country White pad.

The speed dial relates to the OPM`s, not the RPM`s of the machine. I know speed six is 6000 OPM, I believe 5 is around 5200 OPM, and down the scale.

CleanGSR
04-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I agree with the above 2 posts. M80 is really great by PC with a white LC 5.5" pad. Use speed 4 to spread the polish, then go to speed 6. Seriously, when doing correction, speed 6 is all there is. I noticed a huge jump in correction capabilities when I went from using 5 to 6.

I`d agree with the suggestion above, though work your way up to the M105. As Meguiars always says, use the least aggressive method to get the job done....no sense in removing any more paint than needed. Also do a couple of searches on here for some videos of how to use the PC properly. I saw one video that showed how slow people actually moved the PC and realized I was going way to fast with my passes. While I don`t go quite as slow as some of the videos, slowing down my passes greatly improved my correction capabilities.

There`s a few techniques about the PC you should look for, like pressure, speed of the passes, speed of the PC, aggressiveness of product, agressiveness of pads, etc.... Just do some searching on autopia for some tips, or just browse the click and brag section and see what products and speeds people use on there PC to get the results that they show in the pictures.

jared6180
04-14-2008, 11:18 PM
i used mainly the #1 and 2 setting on my porter cable the first time i used it and had pretty good luck on a 99 mustang that i reconditioned for sale. it was red and I thought it came out looking like a new car...granted i spent 13 hours on it, and after 13 hours it may have been more psychology then progress.

The worst part is that its white, and white doesnt reflect like black or red which are my favorite color cars...

Where are the videos you mentioned, I must be blind AND dumb...

Thanks

jayjacque
04-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Once the leather is dried out as you describe, it`s doubtful any conditioner will be able to put the softness back (won`t hurt to try though). Rejuvenators may be the way to go for that. Leatherique is one good one, and there are some others which could help as well

kh765
04-15-2008, 02:55 AM
I don`t think you were getting much correction with a PC with the 1 or 2 setting. You need to be at least at the 5 setting to be getting any real correction done.

CleanGSR
04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I don`t think you were getting much correction with a PC with the 1 or 2 setting. You need to be at least at the 5 setting to be getting any real correction done.

I agree, almost certain that if anything changed, it was due to filling and not correction. At speed 1-2 I`m not sure I could even spread wax well.

TTWAGN
04-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Meguiars M105 ultra cut compound and a 4inch orange LC pad.

Should be able to remove deep scratches like only a rotary can.

Then switch to the 6+inch pads for normal polishing. meguiars 80 and 83 products are great, they`ll have no chance of removing scratches though.