PDA

View Full Version : Prepsol and Plastric Trim = Oxidation removal

pingable
04-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I`ve never had a goal to use prepsol on my trim. Always just applied Z16 on them.

In my prep for Black WOW, I went to town, spraying down the trim with prepsol and scrubbing with a low nap MF. A combination of 3 years of oxidation and dressing came off, and even prior to black wow, there was less oxidation and more black showing on mt newly scrubbed trim.

I guess it goes to show me, that even at times, we do need to bring trim back to "zero" . Similar to how every once inawhile, I scrub my tires clean before putting on new dressing.

Setec Astronomy
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Isn`t Black Wow supposed to be a cleaner as well? The reason I`m asking is that I understood that Black Wow was supposed to clean `n shine, so to speak, so I personally wouldn`t have cleaned (any special additonal cleaning, that is, other than wash) prior to the Black Wow application, as I might if I was going to apply another dressing which I don`t perceive to have cleaners in it.

pingable
04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I`m not sure if it has cleaning properties. I was initially going to do APC followed by steamer followed by scrubbing but I was feeling lazy and did not want to drag out the extension cord and all....thus the prepsol route.

Setec Astronomy
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, I was just curious...I`m still looking for the best way to handle textured plastic trim. It always ages/responds differently on different cars/locations on the car.

AP2TUDE
04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Prepsol works awesome in removing wax and other contaminants from the trim, that is typically my "go to" in those situations.

I have had mixed results a few times though. Try it out on a small section in a fairly inconspicuous area first. I did an older Benz 560SL and when I used the solvent it turned the trim more white, so for some reason in that case it reacted poorly with it.

That is the only time that has happened for me though. I still recommend using it for basic trim cleaning though as it is the most effective I have seen.

pingable
04-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I`m planning to do a full on attack on the trim. It was not oxidized or faded - just showing it`s age. I plan to do another course of Black WOW next weekend, and after a couple of days, put some UTGP to seal/lock it it.

Tried UTGP on my tires as well (these were fresh new summer tars - has not seen dressing and less that 50 milers on the). Love the consistency and mates very well with the sprayer as well. It`s very gelish - thicker than my P21S Gel cleaner.

I`m thinking BW followed by a sealant type product to ~lock it in~ may be a nice combo.

Setec Astronomy
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
But Black Wow is a silicone...doesn`t following it with a trim sealant defy conventional wisdom just like following a carnauba with a sealant?

pingable
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I never really looked at the properties of it....

A little goes go a long way with this stuff. Sofar, the water runoff from road water construction....no run off yet, which is a ++

I forgot where I read it, but I got the idea of bw followed by a sealant from another BW thread.

NickelPlated.45
04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Isn`t Black Wow supposed to be a cleaner as well? The reason I`m asking is that I understood that Black Wow was supposed to clean `n shine, so to speak, so I personally wouldn`t have cleaned (any special additonal cleaning, that is, other than wash) prior to the Black Wow application, as I might if I was going to apply another dressing which I don`t perceive to have cleaners in it.

I remember Richard saying you should prep the trim before applying black wow.

Post some pics chef!!

pingable
04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I was planning to do some a/b comparison but my paint is jet black, and also the trim was not as beat up as you see in the usual click and brags, so I did not take any. But sofar, between the BW on the trim and the UTGP on the tires, it`s a lovely combo already. Let`s see how durability fares out...