PDA

View Full Version : No doubt a stupid tire question

jimmy2x
04-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a new 4Runner = only two hundred miles and am doing 1st/cleaning polishing. Cleaned the rim and tires but two colored spots (red and white) remain on the tires. I suspect that it was intended as some sort of code. What is the best and safest way to remove these before I put on tire gel?

Allen_F
04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
sounds silly but leave them they look nice when dressed and will eventually wear off

SuperBee364
04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I had those same spots on my new car tires, too. Only one was a yellow X. Never seen them before...

Anyway, I got mine off with a wheel brush and Simple Green, although any good all purpose cleaner would probably work. If you do use Simple Green, be careful; it has a bad reputation around here for damaging certain types of aluminum and plastic surfaces, although I use it on just about everything. It did take a bit of elbow grease, but the marks did come completely off.

JohnZ3MC
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Most any half decent cleaner will remove them with enough work. If you want to remove them quicker, use a solvent like prepsol, or bug/tar remover or most anything of the same ilk.

I used prepsol on the yellow and red dots of my 4 new tires and they came off really easily, nearly effortlessly. A followup with a quality tire cleaner then Meg`s Endurance and they look like a million bucks.

-John C.

jimmie jam
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
my 07 corvette has the assembly "job" number "3557" in 1" numbers on the side wall of the EMT`s. it has been 15 months since i got the car and two tires are still wearing the 3557. don`t know why but it doesn`t bother me that it won`t come off those two tires. it`s a conversation topic. :2thumbs:

jimmy2x
04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Well those were certainly some diverse replies:). I do have some Dupont Bug/Tar remover in the garage but was afraid that I might damage/stain the tires. OTOH, there might be something to be said for just leaving them on as was pointed out.

Been spending the day putting on Klass AIO - seems to go easier than most of the OTC stuff I bought (and is still cluttering up the garage) over the years. Tomorrow will do the 1st coat of SG.

I have to admire how "hardcore" some of you are about detailing. My hat is off to you and to the folks who have put some really great how-to guides on this site. For someone like me (basically a blank slate) the information here is invaluable.

Finally, on another note the Sonus Professional Bucket may be the best $70 I`ve ever spent. Besides the obvious, the ability to sit down and work on the sides instead of bending over all the time is greatly appreciated by my creaky back.

imported_Denzil
04-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Well those were certainly some diverse replies:). I do have some Dupont Bug/Tar remover in the garage but was afraid that I might damage/stain the tires. OTOH, there might be something to be said for just leaving them on as was pointed out.

Been spending the day putting on Klass AIO - seems to go easier than most of the OTC stuff I bought (and is still cluttering up the garage) over the years. Tomorrow will do the 1st coat of SG.

I have to admire how "hardcore" some of you are about detailing. My hat is off to you and to the folks who have put some really great how-to guides on this site. For someone like me (basically a blank slate) the information here is invaluable.

Finally, on another note the Sonus Professional Bucket may be the best $70 I`ve ever spent. Besides the obvious, the ability to sit down and work on the sides instead of bending over all the time is greatly appreciated by my creaky back.

Glad to hear you are having a great experience with detailing. You`ll soon find out that Autopia will drain your pockets without much effort. It seems the more threads you read, the more you spend. :LOLOL

NickelPlated.45
04-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I suspect that it was intended as some sort of code.

They are there for mounting and balancing purposes. They mark the low spot on the tire which is supposed to be lined up with the high spot on the rim (usually the valve stem).

jimmy2x
04-12-2008, 08:29 PM
They are there for mounting and balancing purposes. They mark the low spot on the tire which is supposed to be lined up with the high spot on the rim (usually the valve stem).

Wow - the more you know! FWIW, I did remove the white "mark" with tar remover, but the red circle was impervious. I guess that was just as well.