PDA

View Full Version : Greetings & Compound, Plastic, and other questions

jdmer
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
greetings Autopians,

Not a pro detailer and I`m new to car care. I`ve been scouring these forums for some advice about detailing, but I do have a few questions/clarifications.

I`m looking for some good compounds/polishes to use with my PC 7424. I had originally planned on using Optimum Compound or Menzerna but then read that these are best for rotary polishers (is that right?). If so, what are the best choices for a DA machine? Or, is it more about what they work best with, and I can still get good results with my DA? I`d like some recommendations for moderate to light defect removal.

I have a few problems with a gray plastic bumper. It has some whitish plastic. If I scratch at it, it can be taken off with a fingernail. What could I use to restore or remove this whitish/oxidation like stuff? I`ve read about Black Wow. If this works, could I then switch to something like 303? Or, once you start using BW, you`re pretty much stuck with it?

I also have some questions about plastic polishing. Most of what I`ve read here is concerned with clear plastic. Do you use the same products for clear and colored plastic? I`ve been reading about Plastx, Plexus, and others. What`s the best product? And, do I use something different for colored plastic?

Lastly, what`s the best wax removal product? I`ve considered Wax Blaster and Wax Eraser. Would either of these be fine?

Looking forward to your responses and learning more about detailing.

Thanks.

jdmer