PDA

View Full Version : Clay Magic Red or Blue?

imported_Denzil
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
I went to my local Sherwin Williams Automotive looking for a place that readily sells Ultrafina but unfortunately they did not have any there and it would have to be ordered. However, the red Clay Magic clay caught my eye and I did a bit of research. It seems that most Autopians if not all use the Clay Magic blue and not the red. Is the red really that abrasive/rough on the clear?

I`ve been looking for a pretty aggressive clay that I would follow up with paint correction. I`m mainly looking for a more aggressive clay to cut on time spent claying the ENTIRE car.

TTWAGN
04-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Thats what the strong clay is for.

If you are doing paint correction then you will save heaps of time using a stronger clay.

You will be able to clay the car in 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Sure you may have extra marring but it will be no deeper than the existing swirls that are about to be removed :D

imported_Denzil
04-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Yeah that`s exactly what I was looking for but I honestly haven`t seen a single Autopian mention the use of Clay Magic red in their full details. I was under the assumption that there was something negative about this clay due to what seems like its lack of use by Autopians. :nixweiss:

TortoiseAWD
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I don`t use Clay Magic red, but I do resort to Hi-Temp`s medium clay on occasion (it`s similar in abrasiveness, I believe). It does leave minor scuffing, but man, does it chew through grime and overspray.

I did a Volvo S60R a few weeks ago. Three passes with Meg`s clay was still turning up junk. One pass with HT medium clay, clean as a whistle. It`s rarely the first clay I reach for, but I always try to have it in my kit for those cars that need it.

Tort

imported_Denzil
04-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I`ll keep that clay in mind Tort. Who do you usually purchase your Hi-Temp clay from?

TortoiseAWD
04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Denzil,

I buy mine from Hi-Temp. :) I live in Omaha, where Hi-Temp is located, so it`s only about a ten minute drive for me to be at their storefront.

I thought Top of the Line used to carry HT`s medium clay, but I don`t see it on their website right now. I`m not sure where you can buy it online, sorry. You might try calling Hi-Temp directly to see if they can tell you who carries it, or if you can order directly from them:

(402) 330-3344

Good luck,

Tort