PDA

View Full Version : Foam Cannon Foam - I want to believe the hype.

Pages : [1] 2 3

howareb
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Well with the popularity of the Foam Cannon (pressure washer) I was intrigued to try it for myself. After reading many reviews and seeing videos, I too wanted to be part of the action.

The other day I got a chance to connect my foam cannon to the cam spray pressure washer (Model 1500a - Electric - Top of the line), and I had to say that I was impressed with the foam that was created. It was nice, thick and frothy. I then let it sit on the black Durango for a few minutes, and then proceeded to spray it off with the pressure washer. I guess my expectations were a bit more than the results that I got. When I proceed to rinse with the pressure washer I was surprised to find that the layer of dirt that I expected to be removed was not going anywhere. I expected for the car to be clean without me having to touch it with a wash media. In the end, maybe I was doing something wrong, but I really was not impressed. It may be the soap combo that I used (Eagle One Bucket Free wash mixed 3:1). I want to improve on my experience so if someone has any suggestions for improvement soap combinations then I am all ears.

In the meantime until I can perfect a procedure (with the help of Autopians), I think that I will stick the two bucket method or ONR.

Do you think that foam cannon foam is hype or does it serve a useful purpose within my detailing procedures? Like the X-Files “I wanna believe”.

BigJimZ28
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I expected for the car to be clean without me having to touch it with a wash media.

why?

look at the countless threads on foam guns/cannons

BigAl3
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
you still need to touch the paint for the baked on bugs, dirt, tar, etc. that`s why i like the foam gun because you can use it as a pre-soak and to wash the car as well. you can`t do that with the foam cannon/lance...

howareb
04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
why?

look at the countless threads on foam guns/cannons

I have looked and there seems to be a varied amount of opinions on the subject (and varied techniques (higher pressure, different soap combos, and the temperature of water used (Hot warm, cold))). So I guess that I had to have my own personal experience in order to make my own conclusion.

I set my expectations way too high, but there has to be some room for improvement.

howareb
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
you still need to touch the paint for the baked on bugs, dirt, tar, etc. that`s why i like the foam gun because you can use it as a pre-soak and to wash the car as well. you can`t do that with the foam cannon/lance...

+1 I agree on this.

SuperBee364
04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
The type of LSP you use will greatly effect how clean your car comes with just a pressure washer and a foam gun without using some sort of wash media.

*Generally speaking*, carnauba based LSP`s will come cleaner using a touchless wash than sealants will. Even when my car is really dirty, I need nothing more aggressive than a very gentle boars hair brush to get the car completely clean. When the car fails to come clean using a touchless wash, I just apply another layer of wax, or if time doesn`t permit, refresh it with a good carnauba based QD.

If you do decide to go completely touchless, you might also want to look into some sort of deionized water for a spotfree rinse, and possibly a forced air drying method. I don`t use any sort of drying media if I haven`t touched the car during the wash; there`s just too much potential for there to still be something on the paint. Something that would then mar the finish during a waffle weave drying.

wannafbody
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I think the foam looks cool but I`m not sold on the concept that foam is any more lubricious or better cleaning than a strong solution of soapy water from a cheap sprayer.

howareb
04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
The type of LSP you use will greatly effect how clean your car comes with just a pressure washer and a foam gun without using some sort of wash media.

*Generally speaking*, carnauba based LSP`s will come cleaner using a touchless wash than sealants will. Even when my car is really dirty, I need nothing more aggressive than a very gentle boars hair brush to get the car completely clean. When the car fails to come clean using a touchless wash, I just apply another layer of wax, or if time doesn`t permit, refresh it with a good carnauba based QD.

If you do decide to go completely touchless, you might also want to look into some sort of deionized water for a spotfree rinse, and possibly a forced air drying method. I don`t use any sort of drying media if I haven`t touched the car during the wash; there`s just too much potential for there to still be something on the paint. Something that would then mar the finish during a waffle weave drying.

Thanks fot the insight. I used M #21 so maybe that explains some of my results. The water that I am using is Filtered and softened (using autogeek water filter set) and I dried with a blower.

Would water temp or soap combos play into this also?

Harbison215
04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the foam looks cool but I`m not sold on the concept that foam is any more lubricious or better cleaning than a strong solution of soapy water from a cheap sprayer.

i have to agree. there are a lot of things im not really `sold` on around here but to each his own. some stuff is just over kill (like using a QD after giving like 2 coats of wax)...totally ridiculous.

Mark77
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, car wash soap isn`t designed to remove dirt by just sitting on it, it simply isn`t strong enough. I don`t get the point of foaming a car as a presoak, an a APC mix will do a much better job, but of course it will be harsh on the LSP. But i do this when a car is really dirty. Rather wax again than remove scratches from trying to wash it with a mitt.

2KLS1
04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I kind of feel the same way as Mark77. I`m not really convinced that foaming the car as a presoak does any more actual cleaning than just rinsing the car with water. Especially the foam guns (not the foam cannon). They don`t seem to produce that much foam and every video I`ve seen of it being used the soap just slides right off anyway. I don`t know, maybe if I saw one in action in person to see the results would show me otherwise. The foam cannons do seem like fun though.

BlackElantraGT
04-10-2008, 04:02 AM
I have a foam cannon and while it`s a fun toy, it`s definitely not a necessity and you can spend your money in better ways. So far the only use I have for it is a pre-soak to let the soap dwell and break-up contaminants such as bird droppings. While the car is pretty clean for the most part after the first high-pressure rinse, I find that to get the car 100% clean there always needs to be some form of agitation from a wash media.

It`s not a time saver and you will use up a lot more soap than a normal wash. The only way I can imagine it saving time for me was if I had a deionized water setup like the CRSpotless where I foamed, let sit, and rinsed with DI water. While not a substitute for a normal wash, I think this would a good way to do a 5-10 min quick car wash when you`re running short on time.

Accumulator
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Some sorta-random thoughts from a guy who only uses a foamgun as opposed to a foamcannon:

The touchless method only seems to work for people (such as SuperBee364 who are using ultra-dirt-shedding LSPs. I bet you could get away with doing it with Collinite 476S, but I also bet it wouldn`t work as well as with that Zymol Vintage. And I`d only try it with a vehicle that`s not too dirty to start with.

Not sure why a presoak with shampoo wouldn`t work better than a presoak with plain water :think: Neither one works miracles for me, but the shampoo does seem to make the subsequent washing a bit easier whereas the plain water only helps a little bit with readily dissolved stuff like roadsalt.

Oh, and I wouldn`t consider something "ridiculous" if the person doing it derives/perceives some kind of benefit that they believe outweighs the time/effort involved. Heh heh, I know people who think the whole proper-detailing thing is ridiculous and I can see where they`re coming from.

BigAl3
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I have a foam cannon and while it`s a fun toy, it`s definitely not a necessity and you can spend your money in better ways. So far the only use I have for it is a pre-soak to let the soap dwell and break-up contaminants such as bird droppings. While the car is pretty clean for the most part after the first high-pressure rinse, I find that to get the car 100% clean there always needs to be some form of agitation from a wash media.

It`s not a time saver and you will use up a lot more soap than a normal wash. The only way I can imagine it saving time for me was if I had a deionized water setup like the CRSpotless where I foamed, let sit, and rinsed with DI water. While not a substitute for a normal wash, I think this would a good way to do a 5-10 min quick car wash when you`re running short on time.

thanks for your honest opinion, i always know i can get a straight forward answer from you...

citizen arcane
04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I have no experience w/ a foam gun or cannon.

That said, I do however use my Gilmour 362 ($17 @ Ace Hardware) every washing for the following reasons:

Due to the environment that my car is subjected to (a black DD) it is washed at least 6 times/monthly and I feel as if I need an "edge" in keeping it swirl free.

Prewashing/soaking aids in the removal of dust and bug guts from my car. I generally load up w/ DG 902 (mixed 2:1 ) sprayed on the highest concentration and let it soak soak/dwell for a few minutes and do it again. Then rinse w/ a nice stream from my firemans nozzle. This rids the dust prior to washing and if there`s grit present it will knock some of that off as well before my next step. I then use the two bucket method, spraying the panels w/ concentrate before I apply my wash media to it.

Most importantly: This additional step prevents the GS from coming in contact w/ an unlubricated surface. Rinse panels, spray next w/ concentrate, wash, rinse, repeat. With quick connects this moves fairly fast and I feel it`s a great regimen.