PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Polish Confusion, Why 4??

Pages : [1] 2

imported_JoshVette
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
So I`m trying to break down my paint correction polishes into 3 basic catagories.

1 Heavy Correction Compounds

2 Medium Correction Polishes

3 Finishing Polishes

For my Heavy Correction compounds, I`m looking at M105, Menz Power Gloss.

For my Medium Correction Polishes I`m looking at Menz IP and SIP.

For my Final Polishes I`m looking at Ultrafina and which Menz product?

I see 4 different Menz products that supposedly do the same thing on the same level with the same results according to Autogeek? :think:

Micro Polish PO87MC 2500 grit refining polish (with oil in water base)

Nano Polish PO106 2500 grit refining polish

Menz Polish PO85RD 2500 grit refining polish

Final Polish PO85U 2500 grit refining polish

So which one is the best and why? Also how does Ultrafina stack up against these? I have FPII but hardly ever use it and now I`m reading it`s an "oil in water" base product.....

So what say you?

imported_themightytimmah
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
106FF is a good one-step, most cut of all those. 85RD has the finest finish of all those. I don`t keep 87MC or 85U around, both have been superseded by UltraFina. 106ff still fills a niche as it works better on super-hard clear than UF, and 85rd still fills a niche as the finest polish I`ve used.

Ultrafina loses a bit gloss-wise to 85RD but it breaks down much faster and it is that much more enjoyable to use. UF has the cut to remove some wool marks, 85RD is not good for following anything but SIP on a pretty mild pad. Pretty much any job under $600 for me gets finished with Ultrafina.

The working characteristics are completely different between UF and the Menz polishes - you can work 106ff or 85rd to a progressively finer and finer finish, but it takes all freakin week to do it. Ultrafina can only be refined and worked so much, but you can take a "very good" car to "100% perfect" in less than an hour and a half. Ultrafina works in pretty much any condition (sun, humidity, heat, cold), whereas the Menz polishes like a certain set of conditions and will gum, dust, etc if used in the wrong environment.

KnuckleBuckett
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Are the Ultrafina product line really that far above Menzerna?

AP2TUDE
04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I think that he hit all the highpoints really.

I agree that 85RD is my favorite of the Menz finishing polishes. It is similar to Ultrafina in its finishing quality, but its propensity to be difficult to work with in comparison to Ultrafina has me using the 3M almost all the time. I will stick with the 85RD for Benz and Ferrari and other ceramiclear finishes, but just about everything else gets the Ultrafina. On the occasions that I do use the Menz, I finish of the 106FF with 85RD.

They both have a good working time, but I think that Ultrafina spreads easier, and is a little bit more predictable. I wouldn`t look down on the "oil based" products because the extra lubrication that it gives makes it a lot more workable. It is a bit of a hassle to have to finish off with prep-sol or another solvent to completely remove it, but I view that extra work as worth it considering the ease of use.

imported_Dave1
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
For my Final Polishes I`m looking at Ultrafina and which Menz product?

85RD for me......It`s a perfect complement to SIP or IP. It does take more time than UF but, that`s ok for me.....

The shine with a black 3M waffle pad via rotary is pretty awesome......

imported_JoshVette
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Great info guys.

What I`m trying to do is have two top quality and similar polishes for each catagory knowing how different cars are. One will have a better effect then another at any given time depending on weather and humidity and clear coat type.

One other question: Is there a need for both IP and SIP?

porta
04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Great info guys.

What I`m trying to do is have two top quality and similar polishes for each catagory knowing how different cars are. One will have a better effect then another at any given time depending on weather and humidity and clear coat type.

One other question: Is there a need for both IP and SIP?

SIP all the way.

Greg Nichols
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
SIP will be a bit more "grabby" on softer paints, that is when I use IP or OHC.

Cheers,

Alfisti
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Is there a need for both IP and SIP?

SIP for Ceramiclear and hard GM clears.

IP for all else.

imported_JoshVette
04-09-2008, 01:15 PM
SIP for Ceramiclear and hard GM clears.

IP for all else.

That`s what I was thinking, just wanted to double check.

imported_JoshVette
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
SIP will be a bit more "grabby" on softer paints, that is when I use IP or OHC.

Cheers,

Thanks Greg.

Funny for as many cars as I`ve polished, there`s still more to learn and perfect when it comes to the skill and the trade.

Josh

AP2TUDE
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks Greg.

Funny for as many cars as I`ve polished, there`s still more to learn and perfect when it comes to the skill and the trade.

Josh

I honestly think it is impossible to know everything there is to know.

I think it is a good call to go with IP and SIP, because honestly you never know what you are going to run into, and you never want to be caught unable to deal with a situation.

detaildoc
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I honestly think it is impossible to know everything there is to know.

I think it is a good call to go with IP and SIP, because honestly you never know what you are going to run into, and you never want to be caught unable to deal with a situation.

I agree. I always keep both at hand. Since SIP, a lot of people stopped using IP, but IMO, it still remains a great product with excellent functionality.

Legacy
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM
106FF is a good one-step, most cut of all those. 85RD has the finest finish of all those. I don`t keep 87MC or 85U around, both have been superseded by UltraFina. 106ff still fills a niche as it works better on super-hard clear than UF, and 85rd still fills a niche as the finest polish I`ve used.

Ultrafina loses a bit gloss-wise to 85RD but it breaks down much faster and it is that much more enjoyable to use. UF has the cut to remove some wool marks, 85RD is not good for following anything but SIP on a pretty mild pad. Pretty much any job under $600 for me gets finished with Ultrafina.

The working characteristics are completely different between UF and the Menz polishes - you can work 106ff or 85rd to a progressively finer and finer finish, but it takes all freakin week to do it. Ultrafina can only be refined and worked so much, but you can take a "very good" car to "100% perfect" in less than an hour and a half. Ultrafina works in pretty much any condition (sun, humidity, heat, cold), whereas the Menz polishes like a certain set of conditions and will gum, dust, etc if used in the wrong environment.

I beleive 87MC has less cut than 85RD. On the Menz scale, 87 is a 1 and 85rd is 1.5.

Junebug
04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
My line up is 105 for compound, IP for medium - FFII for light and UltrafinaSE if I`m doing a two step with 105.