PDA

View Full Version : What to use to clean these neglected wheel lips?

BuffMe
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
I am thinking these are polished aluminum but want to make sure so I can apply the proper process. If they are polished aluminum, I was figuring to use some 3000 grit wet sanding to start off, then polish them up with some Mother`s Billet or PowerMetal (not sure which one, though, or maybe both?).

Any recommendations?

imported_never gone
04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
They don`t look thaaat bad, just dirty. Clean with a little soap and water first so we can see what you`re even dealing with.

BuffMe
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I don`t have these wheels yet. A customer sent this picture to me.

imported_DieselMDX
04-09-2008, 01:35 AM
i would try a compound first but u r on the right track

BuffMe
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Yea, I was figuring a wash, clay, polish to see where that gets me, wet sand if needed, polish back, then seal.

Saintlysins
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree with “DesielMDX†... why ‘start’ with the wet-sanding first? Start with the powerball and some mild cleaner/polish first. (After a thorough washing of course! :idea )

pingable
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I would do a heavy citrus wash and then clay.

Follow up with Heavy Metal Polish (green bottle-medium cut) followed by (blue bottle-fine cut)

It doesn`t look too oxidized to me though so blue bottle may do the trick as a 1st step.

BuffMe
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a feeling it will need mild wet sanding regardless of whether the contaminants come off or not as they will probably leave some pitting. Just speculation, though. I`ll report back once I actually see the wheels in person and figure out what will work best.

LICamaro85
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I would use the powerball mini and use the new mothers polish that comes in the little white tub.

I had EXTREME oxidation and pitting on some polished wheels, they were so bad that they looked a satin silver and 20 min. a wheel with the powerball and they looked better then new.

Thanks,