PDA

View Full Version : bone sponge?

sahiwal007
04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
some detailer told me that using a bone sponge (with 2 bucket method) is alot safer then using the wash mitt. he told me that the bone sponge doesnt hold any dirt or other particles as the wash mitt.

is this true?

jordanrossbell
04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
I use the bone sponge...it is great..is it better than a mitt, i dont know....i feel that it does shed well and especially with a grit guard...plus they are very light in color so particles are easy to see...its all about preference i think but it is a great wash media

Macruz19
04-09-2008, 10:03 AM
If you`re talking about the Cobra brand... well I never used it. All the products I bought from AG were their MF. They lint too much, and I now only used them for my leather seats.

As for the chenille wash mit that I have from Cobra, it`s decent, but I don`t think I`ll buy anymore Cobra products.

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
If we`re talking about the "Cobra" Bone (which is available elsewhere as well, CMA and MicrofiberTech, and perhaps others), it does release particles fairly well, I have several of them. I am not a mitt fan, so I prefer "sponge" solutions, and the "Bone" is one that I use as well as the discontinued Meguiar`s Quick Detail pads (which don`t hold up very well to washing, the sponge breaks down) and the Vroom orange muppet-head.

As a previous poster said, it`s all about personal preference.

BlueLibby04
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, we all know a grout sponge works great!

Weather or not a sponge releases grit better than a mitt, I would say no one knows for sure. This would be a fun experiment to try though!

Measure a certain amount of dirty(in grams) and pour it onto each wash media and work it in alittle(like you were washing a car). Put both in a clean bucket of water with grit guards and see how much dirt comes out. Gather up the grit and weigh both seeing which is more. Haha, sorry, Im rambling on.

BigAl3
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
some detailer told me that using a bone sponge (with 2 bucket method) is alot safer then using the wash mitt. he told me that the bone sponge doesnt hold any dirt or other particles as the wash mitt.

is this true?

some of the advantages of the "grout sponge"..

~ half the price of a wash mitt (only $2)

~ rinses cleaner

~ very soft and more maneuverable

~ lasts longer (some are on their 1st sponge still)

~ holes for the dirt/debris to bury itself into

try one for yourself, and decide if you like it better (there isn`t much to lose).

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/101657-better-grout-sponge.html?highlight=grout+sponge

Macruz19
04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
some of the advantages of the "grout sponge"..

~ half the price of a wash mitt (only $2)

~ rinses cleaner

~ very soft and more maneuverable

~ lasts longer (some are on their 1st sponge still)

~ holes for the dirt/debris to bury itself into

try one for yourself, and decide if you like it better (there isn`t much to lose).

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/101657-better-grout-sponge.html?highlight=grout+sponge

I`m still using my 1st Lowes GS that I bought in Feb. Still clean like new, and I don`t see any signs of falling apart.

For the wheels, I have another GS and I cut them in small peices and use them to clean my wheels during a wash. I just love how the GS suds up the car soap. :spot

BigAl3
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I`m still using my 1st Lowes GS that I bought in Feb. Still clean like new, and I don`t see any signs of falling apart.

agreed... :up

sahiwal007
04-09-2008, 10:06 PM
does the grout sponge create more swirls than the wash mitt? or is it the other way around.

Wolf-Strong
04-09-2008, 10:11 PM
does the grout sponge create more swirls than the wash mitt? or is it the other way around.

The grout sponge is truly a gift from God when it comes to washing your car. I seriously stocked up on them because they really are THAT good at washing cars. From what I have experienced, they have never scratched a single bit, and are so easy to take care of...oh and they are dirt cheap!

BigAl3
04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
does the grout sponge create more swirls

no, just make sure to have good lubrication with the wash solution (you can gently squeeze out soap as your washing each panel) and there is no need to press hard...

kpounds
04-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Our local Advance Auto Parts has the "Made in Greece" bone sponges buy 1, get 1 free - 2 for $2.48. They`re pretty soft and fit the hand nicely. IMO they`re not quite as soft as the yellow Pro-Line Lowe`s sponges but I`m happy to use one when washing. I prefer a natural Sea Sponge as it has a "grab" that the grout sponges don`t.