PDA

View Full Version : Power of the PC!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_never gone
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I think some people really underestimate the power and corrective capabilities of the PC, myself being one of them. I detailed my neighbors car on Saturday but there wasn`t time to polish the whole car but there was some major scratches on the hood the owner wanted to see if I could fix up a little. Well the scratches were pretty bad and I honestly didn`t think I`d be able to touch one of them but holy cow was I wrong.

Here`s the hood. One pretty deep scratch in the middle that was a good 8-9 inches long with tons of smaller ones all over the place. Again, I really didn`t think I`d make much of a dent but I broke out a new LC low pro orange pad and some SIP.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/nevergone123/scratch1.jpg

Much to my shock, the scratches were basically gone. If you put your ear to the car and looked sideways you could see where the big one was but you wouldn`t have seen it if it wasn`t pointed out to you. The owner could not believe the big scratch was gone...nor could I. Here`s the outcome of the hood.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/nevergone123/scratch2.jpg

Here`s a shot without the flash.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/nevergone123/scratch3.jpg

Seeing the owners face was priceless.

imported_DJ Mayo
04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
looks awesome bro. How many passes?

imported_never gone
04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
thanks man. 2 passes.

KMHAWAIIDH
04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Looks good! I agree the PC can fix alot. its all I used for 5 years. Nice job on that hood!

jesselyons2002
04-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Did you wetsand ?? Cause I see some cloudy patch in the pics.

eyezack87
04-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Great job. I think I`ll pick up some SIP soon. I`ve used up basically all my IP doing my car lol

imported_never gone
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Nope, I don`t even know how to wetsand. The cloudy patches is light reflecting off the hood to the ceiling.

imported_dirtdiggler
04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Great job - what did you use after the SIP ? 106FF ?

Thanks

CleanGSR
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I`ve never underestimated the potential of the PC. The thing that has me considering adding a rotary to my setup is the amount of time to do things with the PC. I could cut time down a lot with a rotary and remove deeper defects faster to end up with a better result in less time.

Oh, and you would have had drastically different results if you had tackled those same defects on the hood of a corvette or newer Mercedes......that`s another reason to learn the rotary. On soft to medium paints, PC can handle about anything with no problem (given the time)

That cloudiness really looks like a haze left in the paint, but I`ll take your word for it that it`s just reflection.

imported_dirtdiggler
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
CleanGSR,

something to really think about - thanks

I have an 07 MB and my process is either 106 or sip with a PC and my results were not as nice as the hood pictured above. I plan on adding a rotary to my detail process. I am in the research to see what brand to purchase.

sorry for the hijack.

imported_never gone
04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I`ve never underestimated the potential of the PC. The thing that has me considering adding a rotary to my setup is the amount of time to do things with the PC. I could cut time down a lot with a rotary and remove deeper defects faster to end up with a better result in less time.

Oh, and you would have had drastically different results if you had tackled those same defects on the hood of a corvette or newer Mercedes......that`s another reason to learn the rotary. On soft to medium paints, PC can handle about anything with no problem (given the time)

That cloudiness really looks like a haze left in the paint, but I`ll take your word for it that it`s just reflection.

I know different scratches are harder to got out on different paints, I was just really impressed with how well these came out regardless of the paint type. I think I figured out what the "cloudiness" is. If you look right below the light on the left, I have a fully chromed low rider bike hanging. Light was reflecting off that onto the ceiling because the bike is directly under the light. I can promise there is NO cloudiness on the hood. I looked at it under halogens and outside in the sun, it was perfect. :xyxthumbs

Young Scholar
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Great detail!

:rolleyes: It`s pretty obvious it`s not a defect on the paint, not much a detailer could do to leave hazing in such a clear cut design as above. Regardless, the defect wouldn`t show up in that lighting anyway. I believe you nevergone :)!

BigAl3
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
with the right pad/product combo (most importantly the technique of the user), the PC can do wonders...

BuffMe
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Great detail!

:rolleyes: It`s pretty obvious it`s not a defect on the paint, not much a detailer could do to leave hazing in such a clear cut design as above. Regardless, the defect wouldn`t show up in that lighting anyway. I believe you nevergone :)!

Considering he only said he used SIP, that will easily leave hazing behind if not followed up by a finer cut polish and pad. So, yes hazing can be left behind and it can be quite intended/unavoidable if you`re just trying to get major defects out and know you`ll be following up with some intensive or final polish afterward to clear it up.

imported_Bence
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Properly worked SIP is usually LSP-ready on harder paints.