PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wax or Sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

ptaylor_9849
04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Gang, looking for personal experience regarding a long lasting and very durable wax or sealant to be applied to the inside rim of my C6 wheels (behind the spokes). Some thoughts are: Wheel Wax, Collinite 476 or 845, Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Garage queen only driven in nice weather. This selection is ALL about durability.

Patrick

SuperBee364
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I just applied some UPGP to my wheels last week. Bit early to judge durability, of course, but they do clean up alot better. Brake dust comes right off.

imported_Dave1
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Gang, looking for personal experience regarding a long lasting and very durable wax or sealant to be applied to the inside rim of my C6 wheels (behind the spokes). Some thoughts are: Wheel Wax, Collinite 476 or 845, Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Garage queen only driven in nice weather. This selection is ALL about durability.

Patrick

My garage queen C5 non clear coated CCW`s get finished off with Z-2P and Z-CS.

That`s after a polish with Mothers PM and a follow up with Mothers Billet....

I never drive in the rain so they are not that difficult to keep up with ptaylor....

If you remove them once a year for a good all around inspection and clean up, the maintenance isn`t all that difficult and will keep them looking nice for a long time.....

Show car guys are a whole different breed though.....

It`s all about how much you are willing to put into the look....:xyxthumbs

poolshark69
04-08-2008, 11:06 PM
ptaylor.........what type of wheels do you have on your C6 are they polished aluminum, because thats whats on my C6......and if so what have you used on them in the past, i just was using soap and water because thats what they told me when i bought the C6......im just starting this stuff and was just wondering???I got a garage queen as well always checking the weather forcast....lol

imported_JoshVette
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Try some RejeX, save the Zaino for the paint on the car.:2thumbs:

ptaylor_9849
04-09-2008, 06:16 AM
When I bought the car it had polished aluminum. Last fall, I bought a new set of chrome rims that are sitting in my living room. I just love the look of chrome against black. I was thinking about putting some wax back there while the wheels are currently off the car. You know how we Autopians think? There`s a new car part in my house; quick throw some wax on it! :buffing:

Patrick

Macruz19
04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
I use WOWA products, mostly OS, and I maintain with UQD between washes. For me, it`s plenty of protection for my rims.

imported_weekendwarrior
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I was pretty disappointed with DuraGloss 105 on my paint...It seemed to last a long time, but I didn`t like the look. I have since been using the DG105 for wheels, just to get rid of it...it does a good job on wheels. Every other wash, after I wash the wheels, I give them a squirt or 2 of Aqua Wax before I dry them. This has been a pretty good system for me on wheels.

GatorJ
04-09-2008, 07:39 AM
I just applied some UPGP to my wheels last week. Bit early to judge durability, of course, but they do clean up alot better. Brake dust comes right off.

X2. I`ve had UPGP on my wheels for about 6 weeks. It is holding up well and the wheels are a breeze to clean.

Morris9982
04-09-2008, 07:46 AM
I have been using Wheel Wax on my daily drivers and it seems to be holding up fairly well.

I live outside of Chicago and drive through all the snow/salt/crud every winter. The Wheel wax has protected my wheels from any corrosion or any other type of deterioration. It also seems to make cleaning them a lot easier.

I take my wheels off several times during the winter to clean them and put on a fresh coat and again a couple times during the summer.

Wasatch
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
I use Jeff`s AJ.

bwalker25
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
what about mezerna fmj, anyone tried this stuff on wheels? I have a 32oz container of it and want to use it up, I just dont like it on paint that much.....

Z06_Pilot
04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I have HRE`s on my C5 Z06. Not driven in the rain either. those nasty airborne particles do accumulate on mine though.

I use only Mother`s Power Metal/aluminum to clean them....wow, that is awesome stuff.

I then put a coat of Zaino Z2P for protection. I trust it to provide great protection and i know it won`t harm the wheels....

i do the exact same on our Porsche`s as well..

Macruz19
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
You guys must like, and have the energy to buff off the excess wax/sealants off of wheels. After I`m done washing/detailing my car, I don`t even bother bending down or have the time to buff off extra wax off my wheels. That`s why I prefer the WOWA products. Easy to use, and it takes 5mins to apply all 4 wheels.

Accumulator
04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Best durability I`ve had came from 4-6 layers of KSG. I can often go nearly a whole "driving season" with that, though it might be pretty weak towards the end. Works best if I refresh it with some spray sealant now and then and I do use a leaves-stuff-behind QD on the outer face after every wash.

Cleaning frequently enough that I can get by with shampoo mix seems to be important with regard to durability, but I often let mine get mighty nasty between cleanings and I seem to get by OK washing with Griot`s Car Wash (pretty strong mix).

I`ve never had similar durability from the Collinites, and the UPP (and previously BF) that I use on the S8 doesn`t last nearly as long. I have to refresh the UPP with their spray pretty often.

BF does seem to last surprisingly long on the calipers though, and I`d expected to burn it right off. BF also works wonders on seriously-imperfect-condition brake drums too, who woulda thunk it?!? The barely-painted, rusty-in-spots drums on the back of the MPV look surprisingly good with biannual polish/seals using BF stuff.