PDA

View Full Version : Can the dust from a polish scratch...??

Pages : [1] 2

FidoAUTO
04-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey guys I`m currently detailing a black MB C230 and was wondering if polishing on top of "polish dust" will create any marring??

I`m using Menzerna IP and FP

Accumulator
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Yes it can, but it depends on a lot of things (the polish, the paint, the pressure, lots of things...).

To play it safe, these days I often mist on some #34 before I wipe just to play it safe.

Saintlysins
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Usually it’s so slick you can blow it off with compressed air – (although that’s pretty presumptuous of me to expect you to have an air compressor, sorry.) I guess I’d hose down the car if I couldn’t blow it off. If that’s not an option, maybe get a duster or fine hair brush (boar’s hair) and use that instead. Just don’t press hard, use more of a sweeping motion.

Hope this helps.

FidoAUTO
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
well I do give it a dry wipedown that gets rid of like 80-90% of the dust.....

do you wipe off the 34?

Old Pirate
04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Yes it does. Good old #34. Always use this doing polishing. Just a lite mist does it.

Macruz19
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
When I do polish so much, all the dust gets stuck in areas that`s hard to reach, so usually I end up doing a quick wash before applying my LSP.

SuperBee364
04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, polishing dust can mess you up. (don`t ask how I know :o ). I`m so anal about making sure there is nothing on the paint, I IPA wipe every panel right before I polish it. Everytime. Not only does it guarentee a contaminant free surface, it also helps to expose any defects.

Todd@RUPES
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Depends on the dust.

I know I was beta testing a couple different compounds (which used razor sharp abrasives) and they would dust in seconds. The "dust" was the abrasive meduim which was comming out of suspension, with out being broken down. Wiping this dust off dry would greatly marr the paint`s surface.

imported_Dave1
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Depends on the dust.

I know I was beta testing a couple different compounds (which used razor sharp abrasives) and they would dust in seconds. The "dust" was the abrasive meduim which was comming out of suspension, with out being broken down. Wiping this dust off dry would greatly marr the paint`s surface.

Ok, so how did you deal with the situation....?

Wet wipe down, more polishing, compressed air, a re-wash...?

imported_Totoland Mach
04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok, so how did you deal with the situation....?

Wet wipe down, more polishing, compressed air, a re-wash...?

When I recon BMW`s, I clean the paint surface after each process (compounding especially). Weather permitting, I powerwash the car to remove dust and excess product from body seams. If the weather is awful (typical midwest stuff), I use compressed air, then ONR in the shop. There are enough lubricants in ONR to safely remove grit. And, I always use fresh, clean mf towels.

Man, oh man, have I learned not to wipe off compound grit dry....that just re-introduces scratches and I`ve done my share of re-do`s.

Toto

imported_Dave1
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
When I recon BMW`s, I clean the paint surface after each process (compounding especially). Weather permitting, I powerwash the car to remove dust and excess product from body seams. If the weather is awful (typical midwest stuff), I use compressed air, then ONR in the shop. There are enough lubricants in ONR to safely remove grit. And, I always use fresh, clean mf towels.

Man, oh man, have I learned not to wipe off compound grit dry....that just re-introduces scratches and I`ve done my share of re-do`s.

Toto

Thanks Toto.....:xyxthumbs

Por2geezSupra
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Could you use Black Baron Foam Pad Lubricant & Residue Remover to remove the polish dust off the paint?

Accumulator
04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Totoland Mach- Heh heh, I must think of you every time I reach for that ONR :D That idea sure is great when the #34 isn`t the right stuff for the job :xyxthumbs

I also think of you when I wish I could pressure wash `em without getting water all over everything :grinno:

... you can blow it off with compressed air..[or] get a ..fine hair brush (boar’s hair) ..

Some potential issues from that:

I use some heavy-dusting products (3M PI-III and 1Z consumer lines) and I don`t want to blow that [stuff] all over the shop and all my BHBs can be scratch machines unless they`re soaked in some liquid to soften `em up.

Just some food for thought...

Saintlysins
04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
You’re right “Accumulator†... (maybe to be renamed “Accurate†:think2 ) ... as the thread has changed from its original statement of a “polish dust†to every type of ‘compound and polish slag’.

My definition of terms (hence my reply posts) are sometimes too specific. People like you who ‘acclimate’ (another possible renaming for you ;) ), to answers as the thread starts to include a broader scope of answers are what makes this site so useful for so many.

Now I can`t stop thinking of other possible `Accu` names ... geeesh! :dig

Accumulator
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
SaintlySins- Heh heh...well, it`s always a judgment call when it comes to the general vs. the specific.

In hindsight my post reads almost boderline contentious, glad you didn`t take it the wrong way... I didn`t mean it as some big :nono or anything.

I just had visions of dust-storms from my 3M 05937 or my 1Z PP engulfing everything in the shop, and people are always saying how they take dry brushes to paint without problems but every time I try that I scratch things up something awful.