PDA

View Full Version : Need some Autopians Advise...

Can You Hear Me
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok so I recently picked up the optimum compounding/polishing line from autogeek.net and found it VERY user friendly for anyone that is new to rotary. Im pretty sure you would have to really try to burn the CC or get holograms with any of this line if you have any common sense and knowledge of buffing in general. The past two days I wet sanded/compounded/polished my dads black e46 330i. For the most part I had great results! My only question is for those of you that use the compound, hyper compound, polish, and poli seal. what pads are you using? That was what I found MOST frustrating was picking pads becuase of how vercitile each product is. For example I can use the polish with a white pad to remove swirls. or with a wool pad to remove 2000 grit marks. It is very nice that you can do this with this line of compounds and polishes but I need some direction on what pads to use with what sceniro. I was wondering what you optimum/rotary guys are using with pad/product combos and what steps you do. For Example I:

-Wet sanded SOME spots that had much worse swirls than others.

-Removed the sanding marks with purple LC 6.5 inch wool and hyper compound

-Removed the haze/marring from the compounding with the polish and a white LC Foam pad

-Finished with poli seal on a grey LC Foam pad

-Topped off with CG Top Coat Nuba Wax via PC and Red pad

I was pleased with my results but found that I wasted a lot of time switching pads and product combos too often.. Im sure the fact that I am not very experiened yet with Rotary yet and the paint was Jet Black didnt help. For the most part I got most all the imperfections out but it was not perfect..

So my final question for everyone if you dont want to read all that is those that are using rotary and the optimum compound/polshing line. What Size/Brand/Type Pads are you using and with what product? I understand it will be different depending on the damage to the car but in general what are your steps? I need new pads anyways and am looking into the Edge Wool pads..

Thank you all so much!

-Nick

twitch
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
:showpics

It sounds like you did an awesome job regardless the troubles you had. Especially on black! :xyxthumbs

Can You Hear Me
04-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I dropped the car off tonight without taking pics! I was so in the zone I forgot to take pics. Sorry guys! Chances are he will want a hand wash pretty soon so ill snap a few then.. I feel that I did a pretty good job. I am acutally proud of my self.. I just need a more solid system if that makes sense. Im thinking of ordering each type of edge wool pad in something smaller than the 8 inch foam that I have.. Its a pain for reaching some parts of the car.. My next victim will be one of my best friends e36 red 323ci. It has TERRIBLE swirling and Rids so I need to get these pads before the weekend. Any reccomendations on a good sanding block for cars? I used a 3m one I had in the garage but found it to be bulky for some parts of the car. I have a carquest near the friends house if you know of anything they have I could pick up..

_Nick

Can You Hear Me
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
So I plan on spending around 100 on pads. This time around I want something smaller than 8in. Im thinking of getting each edge pad in wool and getting some smaller ones for my 4 in backing plate. Any suggestions before I buy? Would I be ok only getting wool? Or do i need foam as well?

-Nick