PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on pontoon boat?

clnfrk
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
A client of mine is getting ready to sell his pontoon boat and called me to see if I could detail it for him to make it sale ready. I stopped by today just to look at it to see what I would be dealing with and it is in very good shape. The tubes could use some cleaning up though due to some oxidation. I was hoping someone could offer suggestions on good products for such an application. It is one of the smaller pontoon boats available, but still quite a bit of polishing of the tubes is in order. If you could please help me out with a process that is very time efficient I would greatly appreciate it. Not interested in doing any 2 step procedures as this would take way more time than I am willing to spend and I`m sure the client is not looking to spend that much. Thanks for your help!

Anomaly
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Something like this right?

http://www.skaneatelessuites.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/weere-pontoon-boat.bmp

I would imagine a metal polish with a buffer would work well for the pontoons - should be like polishing rims. Perhaps start with Mother`s Mag and Aluminum Polish?

clnfrk
04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Yep, one just like what is pictured there.

Are there any special pads that you would use for this purpose? I`m not sure if the normal polishing, cutting and finishing pads I use for paint are designed for such usage. Perhaps there is some special pad designed for use with a buffer to polish metals?

BigJimZ28
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
some info here:

Blinded by the Shine! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7241)

clnfrk
04-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Thank you so much for that link BigJim!:thx

After seeing the results on that boat, I`ll definitely be trying that. Probably just the first step although I may do the whole outlined process on a section just to see if I can attain the same results as he did.

I would like to order this stuff ASAP and am very unfamiliar with the best sources for Meg`s professional grade products. I am assuming I will not be able to find this stuff OTC. Hopefully I`m wrong though as it would be very convenient if I could just pick this stuff up locally. So, if I`m wrong in my assumptions please let me know. If I`m not wrong perhaps you could throw out some names of some online vendors? Once again, thanks for your help!

BigJimZ28
04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
for megs ADS is the place:

Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/)

clnfrk
04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks again BigJim! Members like you are what makes this forum so great!:bigups

diamondgoldsilv
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Are there any special pads that you would use for this purpose?

BigJimZ28
04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Are there any special pads that you would use for this purpose?

from link in post #4

"* Meguiar`s All Metal Polish M-2805 (Professional Mirror Glaze Series)

* Meguiar`s Wool Buffing Pad W-4000 on a Makita rotary buffer

followed by

* Gold Class All Metal Restorer G-9110

* Meguiar`s W-7006 foam Cutting Pad on a Makita rotary buffer"

Envious Eric
04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Jim, I was about to send him to the same link....lol