PDA

View Full Version : Waffle weave MF towel durability?

CharlesW
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
My MF collection consists of mostly terry type towels that have been extremely durable. Some of them are 2 - 3 years old and have been washed many times. Most are still in great shape.

The few waffle weave MF towels I own seem to be very prone to snagging and unraveling. I`m not talking about catching on sharp edges but as an example the Black plastic rub rails on the top of the mini-van will snag and cause an unraveling.
These are waffle weaves from reputable vendors which I won`t name. I`m really only concerned with how to best use the WW towels. Right now, I doubt that I will be purchasing any more of them.
Is this the nature of the waffle weave towels due to the way they are made? It could just be me, but it seems strange that the same procedures on the same vehicles don`t result in any problems with the terry type towels.

:dunno
Charles

tubafeak
08-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I`ve never had any problems with my Cobra WW towels. Maybe you got a bad batch or something. It might be that they are the kind of MF that`s really grabby when it`s not wet, that would explain it.

DetailQueen
08-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I have had WW for a couple of years, I take good care of them and they have lasted very nicely. I cant remember the last time a terry towel has touched any of my cars so I could not compare the durability.

klnyc
08-02-2005, 07:35 AM
I used mine for few months already sofar no problem yet..Only thing now it doesnt pick up much water like use to be.
Now my WW its lost that plush feeling...I wash with with vinergar too,but still feel stiffer than before. Oh well.

Poorboy
08-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Charles i have been using WW for a few years and mine seem to get softer and more absorbant the more I use and wash them. I think one important point about washing them is that they must be thoroughly rinsed out of all dirt and chemicals. If they hold any chemicals or they are used with a WAUD type product, I can see them not being as effective. Using an APC or Vinergar solution in the wash will surely help. As for yours coming apart:dunno ..haven`t seen that happen yet:)

cwcad
08-02-2005, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=CharlesW]My MF collection consists of mostly terry type towels that have been extremely durable. Some of them are 2 - 3 years old and have been washed many times. Most are still in great shape.

The few waffle weave MF towels I own seem to be very prone to snagging and unraveling. I`m not talking about catching on sharp edges but as an example the Black plastic rub rails on the top of the mini-van will snag and cause an unraveling.
These are waffle weaves from reputable vendors which I won`t name. I`m really only concerned with how to best use the WW towels. Right now, I doubt that I will be purchasing any more of them.
Is this the nature of the waffle weave towels due to the way they are made? It could just be me, but it seems strange that the same procedures on the same vehicles don`t result in any problems with the terry type towels.

:dunno
Charles[/QUOTe

Charles,

Do not feel like the lone ranger. I have experienced the same as you. The waffle weave towel is one of my least favorite towels to use in detailing.

The towels work. Yet they do not work as good as they did when i purchased them about six or eight months ago.

Inspector1
08-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I have the same snagging problem on my roof rails. I have become very cautious on the direction I am drying on the roof around the rails.
As far as absorbing I had the problem with my Big blues and some of my other towels.
The last 2 washes I have used the Sanitary cycle on my washer(Heats water to 160+ deg) and they all absorb like new.

I1 :)

CharlesW
08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I have no problem with the softnes or absorbing water.
Basically, the WW`s work great, but the snags are something that will likely destroy them in time. Once a ravel starts, it doesn`t usually stop.
While the problem doesn`t seem to be wide-spread, at least I`m not the only one.
No problem though. Like I said, I have lots of terry MF towels and they work fine for me.

Charles