PDA

View Full Version : Filler for swirls and scratches

imported_AcuraCl1
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
How`s everyone doing. We are doing a charity event for March of Dimes this week and next week at my work. And my department has decided to detail cars to raise money at work. I will be the main one doing the detailing. There will be no machine detailing, as I do not have enough time, and we are not charging that much. I am only doing hand wax.

Is there anything that I can put under the wax to help fill in the swirls and scratches. For wax, I will be using NXT.

Also, I will be using Gold Class car wash, should I dawn first and then gold class car wash or just use the gold class and then polish with wax or just wax. What do you all recommend. I will be detailing about 40 cars.

Here is a list of what I will be doing and what products I plan on using.

Exterior

Hand Wash & Dry - (Meguiars Gold Class, leaf blower, and drying towel)

Clean Tires, Rims & Wheel Wells - (Meguiars wheel cleaner, and not sure on wheels wells - any suggestions)

Clean Doorjambs

Hand Wax - (Meguiars NXT)

Dress Tires & Trim - (Meguiars Tire Shine, and not sure on trim- any suggestions)

Clean Windows & Mirrors - (Stoners Glass Cleaner)

Interior

Vacuum Interior and Trunk

Clean & Condition Leather - (Meguiars Gold Glass cleaner and conditioner)

Clean & Dress all Interior Vinyl - (Meguiars quick detailer and vinyl cleaner)

Clean all Vents, Gauges & Knobs -

Clean Windows & Mirrors - (Stoners Glass Cleaner)

Thanks for everything.

dublifecrisis
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM
ha-we`re doing the same thing at my work? u work in Gray, TN by any chance?

imported_AcuraCl1
04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I work in Nashville, TN. I work at CIGNA insurance. Where do you work.

dublifecrisis
04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Citi in Jax, Fl we do a lot of March of Dimes stuff and we`re actually doing a "Directors Car Wash" deal to raise money. I won`t take my car anywhere near it though...LOL doubt any of them are taking the quality approach that you`re taking.

imported_AcuraCl1
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree, we have another dept here that is doing a just a car wash, and I can guarantee you that you will have swirls and scratches when they are done.

pwaug
04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Have you given any thought to using Optimum Poli-Seal? It is a great AIO and will fill when used by hand. You could then give it a quick coat of the new Optimum Spray Wax that goes on like a QID so it would be fast and the shine is incredible. And they both are available in gallons. This site seems to have the best balance of price and shipping charges-- Kleen Car|professional detailing training|equipment (http://www.kleencarauto.com/)

Saintlysins
04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
You`re not using a gas powered leaf blower I hope! Too much atomized oil in the exhaust and you`ll end up with little oil `dust` all over the cars you just washed. Hope you have a nice strong electric. I`ve seen the gas powered leaf blower at the high-school car-wash-fund-raiser and had to enlighten them. It wasn’t pretty.

As for your product choices, they’re excellent! But in these situations do you need to have that kind of upfront cost when just about any auto care products will be better than 95% of the care any of those cars have seen. Under the circumstances you`re giving up a lot of product (cost) to the fund-raiser. Contact Meguiar’s (seems like you`re doing advertising for them at the fundraiser anyway) and/or your local distributor and see if they`ll donate or discount some of these products for your cause. Every penny counts towards the cause. Don`t worry too much about those who treasure their auto finish - they won`t be there. 96% of the cars never see more than the local mechanical car wash - and that`s your audience.

Hope that helps your cause – and I salute your incredible effort! :xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs

Neofate
04-08-2008, 02:44 AM
40 Cars.. wow. This in one day? -- How much help will you have? With your outline that sounds like an impossible feat for one man hehe.. But I admire you.

I agree with the previous poster -- I would combine some steps. Go with an AIO product that fills and waxes.

Skip the dawn -- Just use a regular carwash detergent, then dry, AIO, wheels/tires -- Move to interior. You should be able to bang them out at a reasonable pace that way and still have amazing results.

The AIO , sure, is going to wear off in a few months but so will your NXT -- As you say your not correcting paint here. People will be more than happy with the jobs with a quality AIO filler.

Zet
04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Good idea to try and see if Meg`s would consider sponsoring the products. For the outside I would suggest: Just GC wash and use the leftover wash solution to clean wheel wells. Then NXT wax. NXT actually hides a lot marring and really brings out the color. I would try and use the same product for trim and tires to save time e.g. Meg`s All Season Dressing if stayin within Meg`s.

TTWAGN
04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Got a buffer?

Sif polish AND wax.

Use an all in one product and apply it with a buffer.

Meguiars #66 with a cutting pad would go orite. It may actually remove light swirls not just hide while providing a gloss similar to NXT. With a buffer it will probably be quicker than applying a coat by hand.