PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Vac! Had to share this with everyone ...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Saintlysins
04-06-2008, 06:39 PM
“Shop-Vac” ups the ante!

Stupid story … had the same Shop Vac (big, red, 25 gallon, monster engine, loud as hell), for at least 15 years. I’ve put that thing through hell. I couldn’t kill it, but if it could talk it would certainly tell you I tried to. Finally, it burnt out and went out in a stinky 45 second flash fire which ignited the bag and contents inside, be it ever-so-briefly as the container contained it and it snuffed itself out.

I loved that thing and had just about every misc attachment they made for it (making other company canister vacuums hose connections incompatible).

Lowes has a 15% discount on Shop Vac’s, along with a Gift Card, I decided to take a long trip for a new one. I downsized a bit to a 16 gallon with a 6.5 hp (peak) engine.

Here’s the option that cinched it: DETACHABLE MOTOR BECOMES A 250 MPH BLOWER!!!! :2thumbs:

I just put the thing together and tested the blower … what a monster! Way better than that Black & Decker rechargeable ‘hard surface’ leaf blower I’ve been using around the car to blow out nooks & crannies.

What a 2 for 1 tool. The way it detaches from the canister is unique (motor only), and doesn’t require the canister, so you’re not going to contaminate the discharged air.

I had to share this with the site … so if you’re looking for one, it’s Model # 142518. $85.00 with Lowes sale going on right now – cheaper on line I’m sure.

So … anyone want to buy a Black & Decker rechargeable leaf blower? Cheap! Who knows, this Shop Vac is so powerful I may be selling my Micro Fiber Drying Towels too! (ok ... maybe not the MF Towels ... I`ll calm down now and go blow out the garage ... :lol ..)

imported_truzoom
04-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice to hear on your findings. At home I still use a "Eureka" brand shop vac that has yet to die and it has been through everything. I personally have a small shop vac that I use for detail work.

The detachable feature of your blower is what makes it unique, as most shop vacs with an exhaust port can be taken off the canister and used as a blower.

Mobilejay
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
How is the vacuum power? I have the Rigid 16 gallon 6.5 hp and I love it. I would like the blower also though. Maybe its time for a new toy. :)

ooh, its not cheaper online. $99.00

Pretty cool, its smaller than mine(much shorter), so that could be good. The only thing I like more about mine is that it has a push cart type handle. They have a video online that shows the vac and blower working. Nice, I will go tomorrow to see them. Thanks

jesselyons2002
04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I had the vacuum you are talking about. The blower work good and the vacuum itself.

Chris@Optimum
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I`ve had that same unit for about two years. I really like it and use it almost every day. Plenty of power to dry the car and I use it and the reducer attachment to blow out vents and door pockets. Vacuum is the same: plenty of power and I am very satisfied. I only paid $69 for mine, but it only has 5.5 hp (older version, I guess).

Mobilejay
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Are these good enough for use every day? I have had my rigid for 2 years now and not 1 problem. Lots of clients have DIRTY interiors and wouldn`t want this to brake in a few months. Thanks again

Saintlysins
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
If it’s anything like my old Shop-Vac it should last another 15 years. I played around with it after my post and with the reducer on it I can see how more focused and powerful the air velocity is. It’s quite light and the double sided handle makes the blower easy to maneuver. The 20 foot cord is awesome as my old Shop Vac always required an extension cord. Blew out the whole garage and utility room with ease. I didn’t have much to clean up this late on a Sunday night, but I have no doubt about its ‘blowing and sucking’ ability. ;)

Doesn’t have a push-cart type handle, but it’s easy to wheel around with the way it’s built, and it’s a lot smaller (same diameter, but half the height) than the one I had too.

Scottwax
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Are these good enough for use every day? I have had my rigid for 2 years now and not 1 problem. Lots of clients have DIRTY interiors and wouldn`t want this to brake in a few months. Thanks again

Agreed. Shop Vacs last me about 12-18 months. I`ve had my Rigid for more than a year now and it still sucks. In a good way. ;)

I`d bet if I had gone with a more professional level Shop Vac instead of the smaller ones my experience would have been better but I got to go with what fits in my trunk.

SuperBee364
04-06-2008, 10:50 PM
“Shop-Vac” ups the ante!

Stupid story … had the same Shop Vac (big, red, 25 gallon, monster engine, loud as hell), for at least 15 years. I’ve put that thing through hell. I couldn’t kill it, but if it could talk it would certainly tell you I tried to. Finally, it burnt out and went out in a stinky 45 second flash fire which ignited the bag and contents inside, be it ever-so-briefly as the container contained it and it snuffed itself out.

I loved that thing and had just about every misc attachment they made for it (making other company canister vacuums hose connections incompatible).

Lowes has a 15% discount on Shop Vac’s, along with a Gift Card, I decided to take a long trip for a new one. I downsized a bit to a 16 gallon with a 6.5 hp (peak) engine.

Here’s the option that cinched it: DETACHABLE MOTOR BECOMES A 250 MPH BLOWER!!!! :2thumbs:

I just put the thing together and tested the blower … what a monster! Way better than that Black & Decker rechargeable ‘hard surface’ leaf blower I’ve been using around the car to blow out nooks & crannies.

What a 2 for 1 tool. The way it detaches from the canister is unique (motor only), and doesn’t require the canister, so you’re not going to contaminate the discharged air.

I had to share this with the site … so if you’re looking for one, it’s Model # 142518. $85.00 with Lowes sale going on right now – cheaper on line I’m sure.

So … anyone want to buy a Black & Decker rechargeable leaf blower? Cheap! Who knows, this Shop Vac is so powerful I may be selling my Micro Fiber Drying Towels too! (ok ... maybe not the MF Towels ... I`ll calm down now and go blow out the garage ... :lol ..)

Come do mine next! I have a layer of Menzerna dust covering my entire garage, and since the garage floor is covered, now my kitchen wood floor is, too... Hmm... maybe I could use this predicament as a way to get a new Shop Vac..."Honey, you know all that dust in the garage and on the kitchen floor??" ...thank you, SaintlySins!

SuperBee364
04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I`ve had a Ridgid for almost two years now. I haven`t used it alot. It doesn`t seem to filter dust very well, though. When it`s used to vaccuum up polishing dust (and dust in general) alot of the dust is exhausted overboard. Cuts the visibility down in the garage really fast.

I`m wondering if the filtering system on the ShopVac would be better for dusty conditions than the Ridgid?

Chris@Optimum
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Agreed. Shop Vacs last me about 12-18 months. I`ve had my Rigid for more than a year now and it still sucks. In a good way. ;)

I`d bet if I had gone with a more professional level Shop Vac instead of the smaller ones my experience would have been better but I got to go with what fits in my trunk.

This is the one in the shop:

http://images.lowes.com/product/026282/026282931177.jpg

This is the 5.5hp in the truck for mobile jobs:

http://images.lowes.com/product/026282/026282117243.jpg

I`d probably have bought a rigid, but we only have a Lowe`s here. I`ve been fortunate though 2 years on both mine with only cleaning and filters.

BigJimZ28
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I`ve had a Ridgid for almost two years now. I haven`t used it alot. It doesn`t seem to filter dust very well, though. When it`s used to vaccuum up polishing dust (and dust in general) alot of the dust is exhausted overboard. Cuts the visibility down in the garage really fast.

I`m wondering if the filtering system on the ShopVac would be better for dusty conditions than the Ridgid?

just use water as a filter

it works way better

SuperBee364
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM
just use water as a filter

it works way better

I`ll give that a shot, thanks! This is really gonna trash the filter though, isn`t it?

Saintlysins
04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey “Superbee364” … I can’t imagine there’s much difference between the Rigid & Shop-Vac. I think you’ll find you need a new filter and/or a new filter ‘type’. They make different types of filters for different jobs. There’s a filter for water, leaves, regular shop dust, and even the fine drywall and spackle dust. For really fine particles, there’s a filter bag that connects to the end of the hose inside the canister AND additional dust filter ‘blanket’ for the inner filter. Make sure you use the right hose adapters (inside the canister) with each filter. (This is super important when collecting water! Trust me! :o )

If you’re filling your shop with the dust you’re supposed to collect, you definitely need new filters and/or filter bags. That should save you a lot of money.

Then again --- I might be in S.L.C. within the next couple weeks, so, who knows, maybe I will come over and clean the place up … Heineken Light on ice and/or some Gold Label when we’re done will do the trick. :drool:

SuperBee364
04-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey “Superbee364” … I can’t imagine there’s much difference between the Rigid & Shop-Vac. I think you’ll find you need a new filter and/or a new filter ‘type’. They make different types of filters for different jobs. There’s a filter for water, leaves, regular shop dust, and even the fine drywall and spackle dust. For really fine particles, there’s a filter bag that connects to the end of the hose inside the canister AND additional dust filter ‘blanket’ for the inner filter. Make sure you use the right hose adapters (inside the canister) with each filter. (This is super important when collecting water! Trust me! :o )

If you’re filling your shop with the dust you’re supposed to collect, you definitely need new filters and/or filter bags. That should save you a lot of money.

Then again --- I might be in S.L.C. within the next couple weeks, so, who knows, maybe I will come over and clean the place up … Heineken Light on ice and/or some Gold Label when we’re done will do the trick. :drool:

Done and done. :)

I do have the dust rated filter on the Ridgid, but I`m thinking I might need to buy one of those filter bags, too. Menz dust is so fine it just goes right through the dust rated filter. BTW, that dust is *nasty*. I`ve been using a dustmask when cleaning it up. Think I might start wearing one when polishing. Although if it`s fine enough to go through the dust filter, it`s probably gonna go through a dust mask, too.

Edit: I think I might try a version of BigJim`s advice... maybe turn the stuff into a slurry and wet vac it up... Off of the floor, at least.