PDA

View Full Version : Can You Patch a Crack in Chrome

vMaster0fPuppet
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I recently noticed a crack in my chrome wheels that seems to be down to the copper, as a goldish material appears through the crack.

I know this is going to peel, and I am going to have to have it rechromed. But, in the meantime, is there anything I can do to keep it from peeling. I don`t have to money for rechroming right now, and I don;t want to be driving around on a peeling wheel.

I was thinking some sort of clear glue, or filling, that would hold the pieces together.

These are on a DD, so there going to take a beating.

jayjacque
04-06-2008, 01:07 PM
JB weld is a good quick fix, but it dries blackish. Get the fast dry version. Prob found in Auto Zone or Pep Boys. It`s a 2-par epoxy, so if not that one another brand of same idea. Try to get flat to begin with because once it`s dry not easy to sand. Then I used to have a chrome aerosol paint, at the time was the only one I found that looked like bright chrome instead of dull or silver (sorry can`t remember the name, but it started with "N" I believe). That was seven or eight yrs ago, so maybe more brands now looks closer to the real.

Accumulator
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
vMaster0fPuppet- I`ve done OK with a dab of touchup clear. One of my Denali XL`s wheels has a scratch/damage like that and in the absence of winter weather/salt I`m doing OK just keeping it clean and well-sealed.

vMaster0fPuppet
04-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

The crack is so thin that I spend about 2 minutes looking for it when I inspect the wheel, but its pretty long. From more than a 2 foot away from the crack it looks like perfect chrome. I`ll try to get some pics up later.

I`ll try the clear coat, because I want something that will keep the wheels looking good, and theres no need to fill alot.

jayjacque
04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah don`t use the jb weld if it`s more cosmetic than split apart

vMaster0fPuppet
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Do I taped off the area, and am in the process of spraying a couple coats of clear. I doubt the clear will bond at all to the chrome, but it should bond to the scratch and split right?