PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice? on a zo6

christitan21
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I’m not a professional detailer but I like to do this as a hobby. I wash and wax my family’s cars but never done it for someone I don’t know.

My girlfriend dad drives a Hummer h2. He owns his own business and he has a guy that he knows that owns (2) 2007 Chevy zo6 corvette. One is yellow and one is red. My girlfriend’s dad gave him my number so i can detail his cars. So next Saturday I am detailing his yellow Z06. I ask him who used to detail his cars he said the touch less car wash. Can you believe that! This guy as two $ 80,000 dollar cars and takes them through a car wash.

Is there any thing that I need to know about that car?

What kind of paint does it have? Hard or Soft

How much should I $charge him?

DO YOU CLAY THE CAR WET (After Washing) THEN DRY IT OFF?

This is what i am going to do!

Wash two bucket

Clean tires and rims

Dry

Clay

Wax

Interior vacuum

imported_themightytimmah
04-05-2008, 06:32 PM
`Vettes are pretty standard for washing and waxing, but if you are going to get into paint correction/buffing on them, you need to charge through the nose. They can be very challenging cars to pull off well (don`t ask me how I know lol).

I would probably charge 150/car for that, but starting out 100 is reasonable. Which wax/paint sealant will you be using?

SuperBee364
04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Hopefully ptaylor will chime in on this one. He has a Z06. The clear on vettes is some of the hardest around.

christitan21
04-05-2008, 08:36 PM
megs clay bar, megs wax with zanio polish all by hand

imported_DennisH
04-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I just finished my 08 Vette and it some some very minor swirls where the body shop wiped off the area around a new spoiler I had put on.

I broke out the rotary -- 106FF -- Green Pad -- 1200 to 1500 RPM and took two passes just to get out some very minor swirls. Then I did another pass with rotary -- POR85RD - black pad -- 1000 to 1200 RPM to jewel the surface. By hand you are not going to be able to paint correction on a 06 or even 05 Vette.

bwalker25
04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
megs clay bar, megs wax with zanio polish all by hand

by hand???? good luck...you mean just zaino by hand right?

MrNorwall
04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
? whats wrong with applying megs wax without a machine

bwalker25
04-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I thought he was going to be doing correction by hand.....if so good luck....nothing wrong with wax by hand just alot faster and easier with a machine...

Deanski
04-05-2008, 11:07 PM
If you are not going to correct the paint, then you need to find a way to try to hide as much as possible prior to a wax.

I would go with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze which can be found at most automotive paint shops.

Follow with also a hiding wax like Meguiars NXT or other wax that has a bit more hiding ability.

This would be the fastest way to get the finish looking good. If you have access to a polisher, you can use the 3M Machine glaze as well.

Correction takes a bit more experience and talent to do, more so on cars that have hard clear coats.

Try to Keep It Simple

Deanski

SuperBee364
04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I’m not a professional detailer but I like to do this as a hobby. I wash and wax my family’s cars but never done it for someone I don’t know.

My girlfriend dad drives a Hummer h2. He owns his own business and he has a guy that he knows that owns (2) 2007 Chevy zo6 corvette. One is yellow and one is red. My girlfriend’s dad gave him my number so i can detail his cars. So next Saturday I am detailing his yellow Z06. I ask him who used to detail his cars he said the touch less car wash. Can you believe that! This guy as two $ 80,000 dollar cars and takes them through a car wash.

Is there any thing that I need to know about that car?

What kind of paint does it have? Hard or Soft

How much should I $charge him?

DO YOU CLAY THE CAR WET (After Washing) THEN DRY IT OFF?

This is what i am going to do!

Wash two bucket

Clean tires and rims

Dry

Clay

Wax

Interior vacuum

You *can* do it that way, but depending on how good the lubrication is of the car soap you`re using, you do run additional risk of marring the paint while claying. You would probably be better off doing a complete wash and dry, then using a good quick detailer (meguiars maroon bottle quick detailer is my favorite) as a clay lube. You spray the QD on the panel you`re going to clay very liberally, then clay the surface while wet with the QD, then dry the clay`d panel with a microfiber towel.

Since you are not going to be doing any machine polishing (paint correcting), I would really recommend the above method; much less chance of marring the paint than trying to clay it while washing. Remember that clay is an abrassive. It needs to be very well lubricated to prevent marring the paint. Kneed it very often while using it.

christitan21
04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
then a follow up of megs 2.0 wax . then what should i do next ?