PDA

View Full Version : Sun lighting, florescent or halogen?

Megaman096
04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I will be polishing my car very soon with my UDM and i dont have any type of stand/truss lighting that i see in these how to polishing videos. Will i be fine with the sun/natural outside light? Or should I invest in lighting? What is the cheapest and best place to get some sort of stand lighting, walmart? Halogen or florescent? Thanks alot guys! Oh yeah my car is RED. :)

Neofate
04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
You can get buy with sunlight -- but I highly suggest buying a cheap halogen light.

You can get a single light without a stand for $10.00 (Halogen) at Walmart. Then you can also get the lights you see in the video`s for about 25-30$ from Walmart which is the same light, but two of them side by side on a stand.

They are cheap imo.

If you just want to spend 10 bucks, just get the single, and you can hold it up to the area to inspect what you are doing. All I have atm is the single light, and I don`t need it while I`m polishing, because I can`t see what is or isn`t corrected till after I wipe it off when I`m *done* with that area anyhow. Then I`ll shine the light on it.

The lights behind you also get very warm as well, so I really prefer not to work with the standing lights breathing down my neck. But most people do work with them I would imagine.

Either way its a chip in the bucket.. Walmart is 24/7 -- Go now! Buy it =)

* Just wanted to add -- Florescent lighting won`t show swirls nearly at all,.. Sunlight shows them fairly well, but you can`t control it -- Halogen shows them the best of all three.

Johnl135i
04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
You Need to get a good Halogen light to be able to see defects in the paint, and see if your correcting them.

Home depot/Lowes has some good prices on cheap Halogen lights on a tripod......thats what I have.

imported_JoshVette
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Sunlight is good, but only when it`s a perfectly cloudless day.

Also sunlight won`t show you the side panels very well.

Get some 500W halogens at Walmart, Lowes, HD, they cost about $25 bucks, they will show you everything in the paint. Try to isolate the light by closing the garage door or doing it at night when everything else is darker, you`ll see more defects that way.

Josh