PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Wet-sanding,,,,Need some advice (please)

Dynamic Designs
07-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

Fanatical + Always short on time + Own your own business + Black Truck = Frustration!

Since I got my new BLACK truck last year, I probably spend more time thinking and caring about it that anything I`ve ever owned. (I know, welcome to the club) I`ll try to be brief but informative.

Damage was done to my rear quarterpanel back in april. Had it repaired shortly afterwards. Bodyman did an excellent mechanical repair to the panel but finish needed some buffing and cleanup. Finally got around to giving it some attention. After doing a little rotary I noticed a couple of lines in the paint (previously unnoticeable - kind of like runs). I did a little wet-sanding to even out the paint which it definitely needed. Used 2500 unigrit from Meguiars. Some of the area is located right above the fender flair and right below some body lines. (some pics included) I`m wondering what would be the best way to cleanup/polish the area near the flair (moulding) and around the curvy areas. I`m assuming I have alot of hand work ahead of me,,,,,but I`ve read such great tips in "Detail City" that I just had to ask.

Just for info purposes.......I use a PC and a Dewalt, mostly meguiars products.

I really appreciate (in advance) any input I get about this.

Thanks!
Mark

GregCavi
07-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Meguiars online would tell you to use diamond cut followed by #83 and then #80 all by rotary. I dont have experience in wetsanding but thats what i have been told before.

Greg

J.J.
07-31-2005, 06:28 PM
If it were me, I would probably reach for the Optimum compound followed by the Optimum polish. I would recommend the compound with a cutting pad at about 1500 rpm and then follow that with the the polish and a cutting pad at 1500 rpm. Follow this with the same polish and a polishing pad at 1500 rpm. You should see the shine return fairly quickly using this method. There will probably be some others chiming in soon. Let us know how it goes!

BTW, there are several other products you could use. There are some from 3M (Id on`t use them but I know they exist). You could also try the PBs line (SSR3 in replace of the compound and SSR 2.5 in place of the polish). I choose to recommend Optimum because it is such a great product.

JJ

maximv1
07-31-2005, 07:22 PM
when i wetsand, i use megs scratch-x by hand, then a rotary if i fell it is needed to get out anything left. then i use a polish with a rotarty to fianlize it. i inspect and repeat if necessary. i always work gentle becasue you removed some clearcoat so you can chew the resy easily. you can always repeat the steps, if you go through the clear you are painting. work slowly and be patient. by the way i LOVE your truck.

probegt
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
If it were me, I would tape off the moulding so it wouldnt do know harm to it and then start with Megs 84 with the burgandy pad. If thats doesnt get it go with diamond cut and a wool pad. I would then use 83 with the yellow polishing pad and then 80 with a polishing pad and then LSP. I use Megs alot and had great success with this procedure... Good luck.

holland_patrick
08-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Propolish and a wool pad then propolish and a foam polishing pad
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/poorboys/car0027.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/poorboys/car0031.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/poorboys/car0030.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/poorboys/car0032.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/poorboys/30bd240c.jpg

Or you can go with the Big O as above I have seen this work so take it for that it`s worth. a picture is worth a thousand words

Dynamic Designs
08-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Everybody,,,,,,up to now (hopefully more comments)
Thank you all for the info (compliments too)

I did a little meguars #2 swirl remover just to get me driving again. Needs more work (of course), but I`m waiting till at least the end of today to read suggestions.

You guys are great!
Mark

Dynamic Designs
08-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Got my supplies this past week,,,,and found a little time to finish off my rear panel.

1- did rotary with meguiars #83 and finishing wool bonnet

2- did rotary with meguiars #80 and foam pad

3- did pc orbital with #80 and foam pad

I surprised myself how good it looks. I still can`t get 100% into the crevace between the fender flare moulding and the area above it,,,,but I`m satisfied for now at least. I will give a coat of wax and wash the rest of the truck tomorrow. Then I will tackle the mustang.

Couple of pics for your enjoyment.

Thanks to everyone and their knowledge!

Mark

jaybs02
08-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Came out nice, good job :bigups

"J"

Dynamic Designs
08-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Came out nice, good job :bigups

"J"

Thanks "J" I think for now it`s OK,,,,,,,,after looking at it this morning in the sun,,there are still some holograms from the buffing after the repair. I figure it this way: I won`t OVER do it - I can always do a bit more if necessary. This truck has always been an ongoing project and demands alot of time (which I have less and less of). The other thing about black,, if you don`t have proper lighting you can`t see the imperfections that you are trying to work on. (I don`t have the eyes of a 7 year old anymore either)

Have a great day!
Mark