PDA

View Full Version : Soap Roundup

nmxdaven
04-03-2008, 10:45 PM
In my quest to find the perfect car shampoo I`ve tried quite a few over the past months. I`d like to give a brief review on what I thought of them. They will be rated on a.) Lubrication b.) Foam gun foamification c.) Looks. This will be done on a scale of 1-5. All soaps are used at recommended strength.

Poorboys Slick and Suds

A.) I was slightly disappointed with the lubrication of this one. It was a bit watery, but not too bad. 2

B.) As the name states, it does have plenty of suds. But the watery nature of this product when used at recommended strength meant the suds didn`t stay too long when gone over with the foam gun. But it was adequate. 2

C.) S&S is a pretty straight foreword soap with no real look enhancing claims. Looks just like it did before you washed. (Well, cleaner anyway.) 1

5 Decent quality soap at a decent price, but far from my favorite.

Poorboys Slick and Wax

A.) About the same as S&S. 2

B.) A little less sudsy than its brother, but it still had much the same "short term" action when used in the foamgun. 2

C.) This is where it changes. Slick and Wax left a smooth, reflective finish compared to S&S. I cant comment on how well the "wax" part of the soap helps protect the finish, but it sure did look nice. 3

7 I liked how glossy it left the paint looking, but the lack of lubrication still worried me.

Sonus Gloss Shampoo

A.) Great lubrication! If I got a bit on my hands it almost felt like grease. Very slippery. 4.5

B.) It wasn`t all that sudsy, but decent enough. Suds stayed put much better than S&S, and felt "thicker." 2.5

C.) Looked amazing! This is where Sonus Gloss really stood out. Car looked... well... glossy. Very impressive. 5

12 One of my favorite shampoos for no other reason than how it left my car looking, but also gave good lubrication.

DP Xtreme Foam

A.) Right up there with Sonus. Very good lubricating properties. 4.5

B.) As the name states, it was quite "xtreme." It produced a huge amount of fluffy white foam, and stayed on the car like it had little hands. 5

C.) Looked decent enough, but no real discernible gloss. 2

11.5 Foamed amazingly well. And made washing quite fun. All in all this is a safe bet for people wanting to minimize marring.

Meguiars Gold Class

A.) Decent, but a little watery. Better than the S&S, but nowhere near the DP or Sonus. 3

B.)Foaming action was good enough. Foam stayed put and had plenty of dwelling time before clearing off. 3

C.) I was surprised how good it left the car looking. Quite slick and bright. 3.5

9.5 I didn`t expect much from a OTC product, but I was really impressed. Not the best, but very good for the price.

P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo

A.) Good lubrication. Not great, but good. Water felt slick, and actually made my hands feel quite soft for some reason. Maybe they should market it as a skin care product. 3.5

B.) Good foaming. A little better than Gold Class. 3.5

C.) Car looked great! Smooth as the proverbial baby`s bottom. 4.5

11.5 You can tell that this soap is VERY gentle, but still cleans quite well and left my car looking very smooth.

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow, foamification...I love it! Thanks for the review.