PDA

View Full Version : Underlined, roll-over ads.

SuperBee364
04-03-2008, 09:37 PM
OK, the new roll-over, Amazon-based underline ads that look like links are really annoying. Is there anyway to turn them off? I tried going to the Amazon link in the bottom right hand corner, and there was a link to stop them tracking your personal information, but no link to turn these darn things off. I`ve been suckered into rolling the mouse pointer over a few of them now, thinking they were links put in the post by the author of the post. I`m not talking about the ones that are an obvious "further definitiion" or "tool tip" type thingy. I`m talking about the ones that simply underline text, making it look like a legitimate link. They are all Amazon ads. Everytime I`ve seen a vBulletin board use these type of ads before, they`ve double underlined them to make them look different than a regular hyperlink, and they`ve given a way to turn them off.

David, if you`re that in need of funds to keep this place going, I`d pay a subscription fee rather than put up with this type of advertising. At least give us an option of turning the darn things off.

imported_rydawg
04-04-2008, 12:07 AM
We should play a game and see how many words you can say that come up underlined in one post.

Jscort98
04-04-2008, 01:02 AM
muffler poodle cheese powder book ratchet shoes laugh wings

edit: I guess you can`t buy those things on amazon.

imported_DieselMDX
04-04-2008, 01:04 AM
lol i hate them plus one for a elite package that would cost money per year. gixxer.com has a thing 10 bux a year and u get more pms lager avitar and a special forum with woman in little clothing

I signed up..........u would 2

Big Leegr
04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I think the links only show up for items sold by site sponsors, like clay, UDM, Ultima etc.

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I think the links only show up for items sold by site sponsors, like clay, UDM, Ultima etc.

Does that mean Amazon is a site sponsor? I have also experienced Amazon book links of common words.

EDIT: I mean, just look at the "mouse pointer" link in the OP.

BlueZero
04-04-2008, 09:18 AM
How many German Shorthair Pointer Mouse Pads are we going to buy anyway. lol

SuperBee364
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM

You`re confusing the "tool tip" definitions for the ads. The tool tips are in blue text, with a double arrow to the left of them. You roll over them, and a definition comes up. Like for clay. The ads I`m talking about are words that are simply underlined. When you roll your mouse over them, an Amazon ad comes up. If you click on them, you`re redirected to an Amazon page. A real PITA when you`re used to being able to click on links in posts and have them open in a new window. My main complaint is that there is no way to differentiate between a regular link and an Amazon ad. Well, that and the fact that you can`t turn them off.

Big Leegr
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
:nixweiss: I don`t have any other "link" things showing on my screen. Maybe it doesn`t show up on Safari? Or maybe not on macs?

imported_DieselMDX
04-05-2008, 01:38 PM
nope it shows up on my mac

SuperBee364
04-05-2008, 06:00 PM
:nixweiss: I don`t have any other "link" things showing on my screen. Maybe it doesn`t show up on Safari? Or maybe not on macs?

I haven`t seen one of the obnoxious little critters all day today. Maybe DavidB turned them off?

kh765
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I`ve never had a problem with them on this site.