PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Leather

Accumulator
04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
There has been a good bit of info on this subject posted recently, and some of it seems to differ from the conventional wisdom. Turns out that I have a lot of various leather goods and I use various treatments on them. Now the following might not be properly analogous as there are different types of leather, but:

[long-winded post follows :o ]

My dress shoes (mostly Allen Edmonds and Johnson & Murphy brands) are all at least 20 years old, and I`ve merely (spit)shined them all with Kiwi brand shoepolish since new. They not only gleam like mirrors, they`re also buttery soft and show zero signs of damage, though they are creased from a lot of walking. The last time I sent a pair back for resoling at AE they didn`t even reshine them as they thought they were as good as they could be- I`d asked them to evaluate them to see if they could benefit from their full rebuilding/refinishing process and they said "no, just keep doing whatever you`re doing".

I have casual shoes from AE and others that have "natural" and "matte" finished leather, and I treat these with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner; again, some of these are *old* shoes and they`re all still soft and in great shape- I fully expect them to last me the rest of my life (with a few more new soles).

A mention of products containing lanoline and water being OK makes me think that some of the products I`ve done OK with (e.g., the Pinnacle) might be of that type. But the Kiwi is carnauba/etc. and I`ll admit I`m (pleasantly) surprised that my dress shoes have done so well with it.

I know people who`ve been using Redwing Boot Oil on their workboots and other leather goods for *decades*. Yep, they have the same boots they bought over 20 years ago, they just have them resoled over and over again. My late father treated his leather goods with military-issue "leather dubbing", Lexol, and the Redwing Boot Oil (which made for a mess in some cases), and his stuff held up fine for ages- again, he got decades of use out of his leather goods and I`m still using some of them today.

He used Lexol for as long as I can remember (wonder when they first came out with it :think: ). He used it on antique leathergoods that are over 100 years old and I use it on them now; it works well on them. My dog leads/collars/harnesses have done well with Lexol too (but those are only ~25 years old).

I have other 19th century leather goods that were, according to the old-timer original owner, treated with "mink oil" since new; my father subsequently treated them with similar products, most recently "Cavalier Mink Oil with Silicone" (!) and I`ve continued to use it on them from time to time. These are also in great shape.

Again, I dunno if any of the above relates to automotive leather, but I wanted to post it while I had it in mind, and I didn`t want to thread-jack any of the existing threads on the subject.

Also, I don`t intend for this to be a contentious :argue But it *is* first-hand experience. I need to soften up the leather in the M3 some time, and I still don`t know what I`m gonna use.. so I`m keeping an open mind on that particular application and, by extension, modern automotive leathers in general.

imported_Detailing Technology
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Accumulator,

Take the Allen Edmunds back to the store and make them shine them. They do this for me on Madison Ave regularly. I have 4 pairs, all about 1 year old. They not only warranty the soles, but they will shine them matte again also.

My Tod`s at $700 a pair are also the same - Zaino`d.....It doesn`t last long, but they look "right" I actually have Leatherique Rejuvinator on my brief case right now. Ill go snap a shot... http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/justindoria/bag.jpg

imported_Dave1
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
My wife likes her go-to chocolate Coach bag much more since I gave it the complete Leatherique treatment a few months back......

Accumulator
04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Accumulator,

Take the Allen Edmunds back to the store and make them shine them. ..

The store where I bought `em is long out of business, and I must not`ve made myself clear (wouldn`t be the first time :o ); they didn`t reshine them even when I sent them back for refurbishment after many years of wear; they were so impressed with *my* shining that they apparently didn`t think they could improve them. It`s hard to remember that far back, but I don`t recall them looking as good as they do now when they were new. For that matter, IMO most (all?) of my dress shoes looked better after a few dozen spitshinings than they did when they were new in the box (especially my J & M ones).

When I get my matte finished ones resoled I do expect they`ll refinish them, we`ll see when the time comes. My ancient boarhide pairs could use resoled, and I might send `em in this year.

Oh, and heh heh, if your AEs are only ~1 year old, by my standards they aren`t even broken in yet :D

It sounds like the Leatherique is working well on your riefcase and Dave1`s wife`s leather bag. Heaven forbid my wife starts wanting me to treat *her* leather goods :nervous: I have my hands full with my own!

Neofate
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I`m not familiar with that many leather products other than automotive to a slight degree. But this new experiement in leatherique I`m trying has opened up pandora`s box to all the leather in my posession.

If you do decide to give leatherique a shot in the future,.. and it turns out to work very well ,.. Just scuff some of it back up, your wife will have you on purse duty before you know it ;)

Accumulator
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
If you do decide to give leatherique a shot in the future,..

I just never get around to trying my Leatherique :o Always seems like more time/effort than I have to spend at the time :nixweiss

imported_Detailing Technology
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I just never get around to trying my Leatherique :o Always seems like more time/effort than I have to spend at the time :nixweiss

Its worth it. I thought is was the typical hyped up nonsesne.

It is insane on REAL leather. Coated leather, like those in Lexus and most lower end cars, do not benefit as greatly. The coating prevents the Rejuvinator from really getting in the pores of the leather. But the coating also prevents ink and stains from settling in also... There is an improvement, but you will notice it more on the higher end leather.

That Coach briefcase in the picture above feels like a Cartier or a Ferragamo after the treatment. I only left it on for 2 hours, then used prestine clean. ill follow up with some Zaino next week. oExtreme overkill, but thats what we do here when we are bored.

Accumulator
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Its worth it...

Oh, I believe that, I just never seem to have the time. I do think I`ll do it on the Jag when I finally get it back. I somehow think I`ll find the time for *that* car ;)

..thats what we do here when we are bored.

Heh heh, "bored"? People said I`d get bored when I retired but it`s just never happened. I`d kinda *like* for things to slow down enough that I could try some of that boredom :D

Neofate
04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
leather, like those in Lexus and most lower end cars, do not benefit as greatly. .

:bat Hrmm.. Should I take offense! You know those Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc low end cars are bunk -- Don`t waste your time ;)

Saintlysins
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
WOW ... I`ve polished the kitchen countertops, I`ve waxed the shower and steam room doors and whole glass wall ... but somehow I never thought to care for my personal leather products the way I do the interior of the cars?!

Thank you guys ... I`ve now found another thing to do on a rainy day! I have an OLD leather coat I friggin` love ... and it needs some help ... can`t wait to try it out!

amf
04-06-2008, 06:58 AM
I use Leather CPR-- works wonders on everything leather...

Saintlysins
04-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Taking an inventory of what leather conditioning products I have & need some more leather cleaning/conditioning products. I`ve been using `Smart Leather Conditioner` and/or Zymol 2 step leather cleaner/conditioner for a while. I really like the `Smart Leather Conditioner` significantly more than the Zymol ... but ... have you tried both `Smart` & `Leatherique`? Do you have a preference?

judyb
04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Why are you trying to `condition` leather with anything other than moisture. When tanners speak of `conditioning` they mean the moisture balance, not the repalcement of oils etc.

On car leather products like most of the conditioners on the market, cannot get through the top coat finish on the leather and so can do the leather itself no good whatsoever. People are spending money on products that at best do nothing and at worst could cause problems.

Keep your leather clean and protect the finish and this will keep your leather in good condition

Saintlysins
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
As you can see, I posted something on another thread in regard to your post(s). I can appreciate your knowledge, and even acknowledge your post as having significance.

But it would be better to recommend a ‘step-by-step’ procedure, and even throw in a few product names in your replies. I’m sure you have knowledge that would suit everything from brand-new leather seats, older leather seats, abused leather seats, etc.

I think it would be advantageous for all of us to be able to look at what a ‘coated’ leather looks like, opposed to an ‘open’ leather (sorry if my terms are not on spot).

Please share your techniques, not just questioning critiques.

Thank you.

judyb
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Will provide photos and details shortly. Will not be able to do them until the week after next as I am working in Ireland next week.

Should be able to clear up a few points for you.

Cheers

Judy