PDA

View Full Version : Mini Review: 1Z Hochglanz, revisited

Pages : [1] 2

SuperBee364
04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I`m out of PO106FF (my mainstay), and I`m waiting for my Ultrafina to arrive (UPS shows that it`s "out for delivery", yay!). So today I`m using 1Z Hochglanz. I used it a bit last week on a Suburban. Today it`s got it`s work cut out for it; I`m using it as a "jeweling" polish on the hood of my `bee. I`m not going to bother with pictures for this one.. you guys have been subjected to too many pictures of my car as it is. :)

Just some quick thoughts on the 1Z...

Overall, it is a very nice polish. It finishes down equivalent to 106ff. It`s also very easy to use as long as you follow the directions. In particular, keep the rpms below 1k. Anything higher, and the stuff turns into cement. I normally do a slow, faster, faster, slow application of 106ff, which doesn`t really work well with the 1Z. It appears to work best if you just keep a constant, relatively slow, rpm through the entire application. Instead of varying the rpm, i`ve been varying the pressure. A bit heavy handed at first, dropping to just the weight of the buffer. Work it until it disappears, and you`re done. It doesn`t leave behind much... hardly any removal is necessary. No oily residue like 106.

It doesn`t seem to have as much bite as 106. I reworked a section of my hood with SIP and purple foamed wool. The 1Z didn`t clean up after the SIP as well as the 106 does. It took two passes with the 1Z compared to one with 106.

Since I`m using just about twice as much polish with the 1Z as I was with106FF, it wipes out the cost savings; 1Z is half the price of 106.

Given the choice between the two, I like 106 better, although 1Z is a good product.

Pats300zx
04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the review SB. I have some but have yet to try it. Based on your finding for using it at low RPM`s I am wondering if this wouldn`t be a great polish for the Flex.

SuperBee364
04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, I bet it would be just the ticket for the Flex, Pat. It breaks down so easily.

Bigpikle
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
just ordered some of this stuff as an `easy` finishing polish, after reading some positive news about it here, but any more tips on using it?

How much are you putting on a pad? How many passes at 1000rpm do you find it will last before disappearing? I am typically using 3m Blue finishing or nearly as soft, grey polishing pads.

Thanks for any tips as I am fairly new to rotary and looking for a reliable polish to use for finishing.

SuperBee364
04-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Heyas, Bigpikle, I think you`re going to enjoy the Hochglanz. It is easier to use than Menz PO106FF. The amount of time it takes to disappear depends on many factors, but it is very apparent when it`s done; it`ll just be gone, and you stop buffing. :) No guess work as to whether or not the polish is broken down, and no worrying about correct RPM. Just work it under 1k RPM. This stuff is insanely easy to use.

Let us know how it works for you!

Accumulator
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
SuperBee364- Thanks for the additional review. I can understand people going either way on the 106ff vs. 1Z HG and I`ll be interested to hear what you think of the Ultrafina now that you`ve dialed in your technique on the HG.

Pats300zx-FWIW, the 1Z HG works well by Cyclo with finishing pads, but it`s so mild that you need to do all the correction with something else first (at least on Audi clear); it`s strictly a burnishing/jeweling product via Cyclo, dunno just how that translates to the Flex...

Bigpikle
04-12-2008, 01:43 AM
thanks guys - had very mixed experiences with 106FF recently, with the best and worst of experiences on my Saab, so thought I`d try this for something a little different...

I have med and hard paint to use it on, with the Saab and an Audi, initially, so will give it a good workout and report back :2thumbs:

Bigpikle
04-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Heyas, Bigpikle, I think you`re going to enjoy the Hochglanz. It is easier to use than Menz PO106FF. The amount of time it takes to disappear depends on many factors, but it is very apparent when it`s done; it`ll just be gone, and you stop buffing. :) No guess work as to whether or not the polish is broken down, and no worrying about correct RPM. Just work it under 1k RPM. This stuff is insanely easy to use.

Let us know how it works for you!

well I must be doing something wrong then, as I`m struggling a bit with this stuff :hairpull

I am putting 4 blobs on the pad (3M finishing blue 6" pad) and spreading and working at 900rpm - the min speed of my rotary. The pad just doesnt glide nicely like with 106 when its working nicely, or MarkV Mystique, that I have also been playing with today - both nice and oily and a joy to use.

Light pressure only but after a few times over the area, the pad is just wanting to jump a bit and generally be a little annoying to use. I am also finding the polish a bit of a pain to wipe away afterwards as well - needed a spray of QD one time. I cant keep working it until its gone as the pad is not wanting to keep going nicely, even after 8-10 passes over the paint.... I thought I would just see the residue disappear and leave almost nothing to wipe away, but thats just not happening for me.

It IS finishing well, and taking away very slight marks on my Audi test panel, and bringing up a nice gloss, but it just isnt as nice as I had hoped to actually use.

Any tips please... wondering if I need a bit more/less product to help it work better so will try again in a few minutes...:waxing:

SuperBee364
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
well I must be doing something wrong then, as I`m struggling a bit with this stuff :hairpull

I am putting 4 blobs on the pad (3M finishing blue 6" pad) and spreading and working at 900rpm - the min speed of my rotary. The pad just doesnt glide nicely like with 106 when its working nicely, or MarkV Mystique, that I have also been playing with today - both nice and oily and a joy to use.

Light pressure only but after a few times over the area, the pad is just wanting to jump a bit and generally be a little annoying to use. I am also finding the polish a bit of a pain to wipe away afterwards as well - needed a spray of QD one time. I cant keep working it until its gone as the pad is not wanting to keep going nicely, even after 8-10 passes over the paint.... I thought I would just see the residue disappear and leave almost nothing to wipe away, but thats just not happening for me.

It IS finishing well, and taking away very slight marks on my Audi test panel, and bringing up a nice gloss, but it just isnt as nice as I had hoped to actually use.

Any tips please... wondering if I need a bit more/less product to help it work better so will try again in a few minutes...:waxing:

This happened to me the very first time I used the 1Z. I wrote a blistering review of the stuff here on Autopia right afterward. The symptoms (buffer hop, and flashed over polish that is very difficult to remove) are exactly what happened to me.

The only thing I can think of is that your pad speed is still too high, or possibly that you`re working it a bit too long.. As long as the RPMs are way down, I haven`t had any problems at all with buffer hop or hard to remove product. It`s hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you`re using the correct amount of product. It seems like I`m only getting about four passes out of the 1Z before it`s pretty much gone.

I`m sorry to hear you`re having such a hard time with this stuff. :/ Especially after me touting it as being so easy to use :o

Bigpikle
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
This happened to me the very first time I used the 1Z. I wrote a blistering review of the stuff here on Autopia right afterward. The symptoms (buffer hop, and flashed over polish that is very difficult to remove) are exactly what happened to me.

The only thing I can think of is that your pad speed is still too high, or possibly that you`re working it a bit too long.. As long as the RPMs are way down, I haven`t had any problems at all with buffer hop or hard to remove product. It`s hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you`re using the correct amount of product. It seems like I`m only getting about four passes out of the 1Z before it`s pretty much gone.

I`m sorry to hear you`re having such a hard time with this stuff. :/ Especially after me touting it as being so easy to use :o

well I kept goiong, and might have cracked it :D

I actually used a bit more product with a ring of polish around the pad, and it worked much better - nice pad gliding across the paint, maybe slightly longer work time, and much easier product removal. Still not THE easiest to remove, but not an issue.

Getting a good finish as well, so much happier now. Look forward to tryinging on the softer paint of my Saab soon, as I think this may be all it needs to clean up 90% of it :2thumbs:

SuperBee364
04-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Good to hear. :)

Pictures??

CleanGSR
04-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I don`t mean to sound cruel here, but:

I`m glad you had this problem and figured it out. It will probably save me a little and give me a heads-up to use a little more product than usual on the pad (once I get some).

Really glad you got it figured out though.

Bigpikle
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Good to hear. :)

Pictures??

the correction was too small really to photograph... I was working on 2 tatty old scrap panels, so not much to photograph anyway ;)

Best correction was some superb 50/50 shots from MarkV Mystique on a light cutting pad, taking out some serious swirls and scratches I put in with a kitchen scrubbing pad :2thumbs: That is a VERY good product - kind of a `One` type polish that can do some serious cutting and finish completely LSP ready on a softer foam pad.

thanks for the heads up on this stuff and tips. I think it is going to be very useful as I take my rotary work to the next level :D

SuperBee364
04-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Good to hear. Looking forward to hearing more about it! :)

PJS
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Pats300zx-FWIW, the 1Z HG works well by Cyclo with finishing pads, but it`s so mild that you need to do all the correction with something else first (at least on Audi clear); it`s strictly a burnishing/jeweling product via Cyclo, dunno just how that translates to the Flex...

I`ve found the Yellow pads on a softish Honda paint with HG worked very well indeed after using the same (and Orange) with the PI.

Didn`t think much of the HG-Green combo - especially as it did a meagre job on a 4K Abralon flatted test area.

In fact, took the Orange and PI to really do the job, with the remainder coming from the HG-Yellow.

Very easy to overwork as well, so be wary of that aspect. Pity it`s not quite as oily as PI.