PDA

View Full Version : CG Clay Block

Can You Hear Me
04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Clay Bar Alternative Elastrofoam Clay Block For Automotive Detailing Paint Restoration And Overspray Removal (http://www.chemicalguys.com/CLAY_BLOCK_p/clay_block_kit.htm)

I bought two of these as I saw them on the front page when I was ordering a gallon of fabric guard. I was interested because of how much $$$ clay starts to add up to be. So my girlfriend came over with her black 9-3 sabb. I didnt get pictures but I gave it a wash via the ace hardware foam gun and grout sponge using the grit guard two bucket system and all that great stuff. After I dried I used the Clay Block and some QD I had sitting around I needed to get rid of. I used it just as I would use a normal piece of clay going back and fourth until there was no resistance anymore. I wiped the QD away and the surface was soft to touch. It worked great. I clayed all of her glass as well it worked great! When the bar becomes really full of contaminates just rinse it with the cleanest water possible and you can ring the water out of the bar and continue working.

The downsides:

-Cant really use on Wheels because of the size/shape.

-If you aren`t close to a clean water supply it could be a pain to clean it often on a really contaminated car.

-Could be hard to get into some cars that have hard to reach places because of the size.

I just thought I would post this up because I know it has already saved me money because of how many cars you can do with one block so I picked up two. I would still reccomend having a 100g block of normal clay on hand for those hard to reach places and for wheels and what not. As for lube any QD works just fine as any other clay bar. The lube that comes with it works fine on glass and wont streak or anything.

Mods- If this does not belong here please move it. Just trying to help out some autopians to save some cash.

:bigups

-Nick

imported_Denzil
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
This looks like a great clay bar alternative! It definitely beats the hell of having to knead the clay after every panel or so (varying on car`s condition).

I might just have to invest in it myself to see how well it performs, hehe.

KnuckleBuckett
04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I really disliked the stuff. I love most of the Ultima line but Elastrofoam is not a good substitute for clay. It is nowhere near as safe for the finish and can leave nasty black marks that are a pain to remove. Yuck! All this IMO.

Can You Hear Me
04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I really disliked the stuff. I love most of the Ultima line but Elastrofoam is not a good substitute for clay. It is nowhere near as safe for the finish and can leave nasty black marks that are a pain to remove. Yuck! All this IMO.

Really? : ( I hope this isnt always the case. I am about to go give my car a rise down and try to use it again and see what my results are. Ill do a 50/50 on the trunk or hood using a normal clay bar and the clay block. Ill see how it goes.. How is it not safe for the finish compared to a claybar? Not trying to argue. Just trying to use what is most safe for my car/customers cars :thx

-Nick

KnuckleBuckett
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I had real issues using the same suface of the foam over and over again, no matter how clean they say you can get it. The remolding of the clay bar just works better for me. Further I find that clay gets me a better quality finished product versus the Elastrofoam. I attempted more than enough surface area to determine that clay IME a far better solution to the foam. Further I like that on the clay I can see it getting dirty very easily. Not that dam# foam though. Categorically and across the board, clay produces the results I want and EF does not.

That all said, I am about as big a fan of the other Ultima products as one can be. I have mild reservations concerning their quick detail spray (I like Adam`s and ONR better), but the PGP, PPP, TTGP, PGW, and IGP perfect 10/10. Best products in their categories I have ever encountered (saying alot).

steelwind101
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Heres my 2 cents. I got the these foam block things from Chemical Guys probably about a yr ago.

They are good for removing light contamination. But if you get a chunk of tar or alot of grit come out near a rubber seal you will feel the full force of it on the car. As oppossed to the clay which takes a little bit in.

The foam stuff also sucks for cars that like my AC Cobra. You cannot mold the product. Trying to get enough of it around the headlights is hard, getting down behind the exhausts that run along the bodywork is near impossible.

Its a nice idea for regularly clayed cars that have alot of flat panels and not many tight spaces. Its also reuseable, i washed mine out and have used it over the last 12 months no probs!

So in respect to the Ultima line being long lasting and you pay a high price and get lots out of it its good.

But if you have a car in serious need of heavly claying get your self the Megs Mild clay.

Its winner for some and a bit tough for others. But the Autopia store does sell regular clay still from other brands i presume!

Geoff

Can You Hear Me
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Heres my 2 cents. I got the these foam block things from Chemical Guys probably about a yr ago.

They are good for removing light contamination. But if you get a chunk of tar or alot of grit come out near a rubber seal you will feel the full force of it on the car. As oppossed to the clay which takes a little bit in.

The foam stuff also sucks for cars that like my AC Cobra. You cannot mold the product. Trying to get enough of it around the headlights is hard, getting down behind the exhausts that run along the bodywork is near impossible.

Its a nice idea for regularly clayed cars that have alot of flat panels and not many tight spaces. Its also reuseable, i washed mine out and have used it over the last 12 months no probs!

So in respect to the Ultima line being long lasting and you pay a high price and get lots out of it its good.

But if you have a car in serious need of heavly claying get your self the Megs Mild clay.

Its winner for some and a bit tough for others. But the Autopia store does sell regular clay still from other brands i presume!

Geoff

Good input.. I agree with what this man has to say. :woot: