PDA

View Full Version : 3M Ultrafina (silicone)

SVR
04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Yesterday I took a drive to one of my local Menzerna suppliers and right next to it I saw 3M Ultrafina sitting on the shelf

Just being curious, I read the back of the label and in the ingredients list I see this

cyclohexasiloxane (shorter name than was listed)

So I do a search online and found this

Cyclohexasiloxane, dodecamethyl- (D6) CAS No. 540-97-6

(http://www.chemicalsubstanceschimiques.gc.ca/challenge-defi/540-97-6_e.html)

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UtN&ZUxL99Xl8&E5xTylVu9KcuZgVU_LXT1u666666--

Does this mean that it contains silicone which will fill and give a false result or leave a shine that will just go away after several washes

maesal
04-03-2008, 05:52 AM
It doesn`t fill at all, I checked it sometimes.

gmblack3
04-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I have checked it a few times as well, no evidence of filling. I know there are a few members who have done extreme testing, maybe they will chime in.

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I don`t really want to get into an argument about this...but my guess would be that its function is as a lubricant and wetting agent. My guess is that if there are silicones or other oils in Menzerna products as some have suggested, that their purpose, once again, is for lubricity and wetting, and that the filling is a side-effect.

imported_rydawg
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Setec is right, it`s used as a lubricant.

I did check on this last year when I first started using it and it is used as a lube.

I did some extreme testing on a few test torture panels and I wiped them down with some nasty chemicals and nothing reapeared at all.

Scottwax
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I`ve done alcohol wipe downs and let a black car sit for two hours in the full sun after using UF on the hood and even though the light streaks from not fully wiping it off went away, nothing came back. However, within 5 minutes, the flawless finish I got after using DACP showed light holograms under the same conditions.