PDA

View Full Version : Layering NXT or NXT 2.0

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Besides the speculation etc has anyone ever got a difinitive answer out of Meguiars if NXT can be layerd?

Even in the Megs forums I can`t get an answer.

Here was my question to the Meguiars forum

Can either of these be effectively layered. I know you can keep applying but is there enought cleaners / abrasives in NXT to remove the layer of NXT below or a portion of it?

I`m not talking about the act of friction from application .. but the results of the chemicals/solvents/cleaners/ abrasives "IN" the product removing whats cured below.

I got a boxed answer with a link to another posting that wasn`t relevent to the question.

Oh .. and this answer from someone

You can apply wax and then apply NXT 2.0 without issue. ANY wax, including NXT, can be applied "below" NXT.

jb1
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I`ve only applied it once on my wife`s vehicle. Curious to hear an answer to this as well.

wannafbody
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Well, I`d say it`s doubtful because as far as I know NXT 2.0 still has abrasives and cleaners-at least not full layering.

SilverSeven
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I feel that the answer to ur questions lies in the Meguiars Website in the "How To Center" - Care Care Faq.

Taken from Meguiars Website:

Layerable waxes

A Layerable wax, is a wax that the protective ingredients used in the formula (natural and synthetic), are such that the protective layer left behind will not only adhere to the paint, but in subsequent applications, will adhere to itself. It also means that the carrying agents, be they solvent, water or something else, cannot be strong enough or in high enough concentrations to re-liquefy the previously applied layer, thus removing it during your attempt to add another layer.

Layerable waxes are primarily pure waxes, or protectants (as synthetic formulas are referred to) that do not contain chemical cleaners, or solvents that will remove the previous layer.

There is an exception to this rule and that is that it is possible to first apply a cleaner wax, and then apply a pure wax or pure synthetic over it.

:) But IMHO I don`t think Nxt can be layered. I`ve used a marker pen to write on a tile. And apply Nxt on top of it, it removed the marker pen ink. ;) But I only tried Nxt. I don`t have Nxt 2.0....

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I feel that the answer to ur questions lies in the Meguiars Website in the "How To Center" - Care Care Faq.

Taken from Meguiars Website:

Layerable waxes

A Layerable wax, is a wax that the protective ingredients used in the formula (natural and synthetic), are such that the protective layer left behind will not only adhere to the paint, but in subsequent applications, will adhere to itself. It also means that the carrying agents, be they solvent, water or something else, cannot be strong enough or in high enough concentrations to re-liquefy the previously applied layer, thus removing it during your attempt to add another layer.

Layerable waxes are primarily pure waxes, or protectants (as synthetic formulas are referred to) that do not contain chemical cleaners, or solvents that will remove the previous layer.

There is an exception to this rule and that is that it is possible to first apply a cleaner wax, and then apply a pure wax or pure synthetic over it.

Ya I read all of that but its a boxed statement and not NXT specific.

" carrying agents, be they solvent, water or something else, cannot be strong enough or in high enough concentrations to re-liquefy the previously applied layer" is the key .. And this is what I was asking them .. Where does NXT stand in respect to this.

willtothewong
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
i am curious about this too

but i think nxt can be layered on top of each other while i wouldnt put nxt over say, a coat of p21s carnuba wax

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
i am curious about this too

but i think nxt can be layered on top of each other while i wouldnt put nxt over say, a coat of p21s carnuba wax

Common knowledge you don`t apply a sealant over a carnuba ...

Envious Eric
04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
try it and see what happens...if it changes the look to you, then it was worth it...if not, then you know for next time...

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
try it and see what happens...if it changes the look to you, then it was worth it...if not, then you know for next time...

See the original question

Can either of these be effectively layered. I know you can keep applying but is there enought cleaners / abrasives in NXT to remove the layer of NXT below or a portion of it?

bunkeroo26
04-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I personally would not waste my time layering NXT 2.0. To the best of my knowledge, the NXT waxes have cleaning polymers in it. This being said, I believe the effect of a second or more layer of NXT would not justify the application time.

That being said, I do like the NXT 2.0 wax. When I have just enough time for one quick coat of wax, the NXT is my favorite. However, when I want to do a multi layered shine job, I use a sealant and a pure carnuba wax. The carnubas can be layered, as can Klasse All in One.

As for your NXT Layering, I would say just try it; as someone else suggested. But, if you really want to use your time efficiently, you need some better products in my opinion.

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Jess, when Mike Phillips used to post here, I think he answered pretty definitively that the original NXT had enough cleaners to defeat any layering. I haven`t heard anything that would make that inapplicable to 2.0.

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I personally would not waste my time layering NXT 2.0. To the best of my knowledge, the NXT waxes have cleaning polymers in it. This being said, I believe the effect of a second or more layer of NXT would not justify the application time.

That being said, I do like the NXT 2.0 wax. When I have just enough time for one quick coat of wax, the NXT is my favorite. However, when I want to do a multi layered shine job, I use a sealant and a pure carnuba wax. The carnubas can be layered, as can Klasse All in One.

As for your NXT Layering, I would say just try it; as someone else suggested. But, if you really want to use your time efficiently, you need some better products in my opinion.

Back on topic please

BTW Klasse AIO is a cleaner and can`t be layered. Its used as a base prep for Klasse AIO.

Carnubas can be used as a top layer over a sealant but

Envious Eric
04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
try it...if there is no change, then you just removed all the wax from the previous layer...if the effects change, then it was worth it...

sounds like you already have your mind made up and are just looking for reassurance....

I used to layer NXT three times...each time it created a different glow....was it worth it...yep to me it was...to the car owner, NOPE....so I stopped

its all in the eye of the beholder...

Jesstzn
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Jess, when Mike Phillips used to post here, I think he answered pretty definitively that the original NXT had enough cleaners to defeat any layering. I haven`t heard anything that would make that inapplicable to 2.0.

I haven`t heard anything different either from reputable sources... and like above in this thread lots of uneducated answers.

Ty for the response .. Hey is Ketch ( Ron) still around? Wealth of knowledge that man.

Scottwax
04-02-2008, 11:34 PM
In the end, who cares? 1 application is more than sufficient in my experience for a solid 4 months of shine, beading and at least some slickness at the end.

IMO, layering is a way to get you to go through already durable products more quickly so you buy more. 2 thin layers to ensure complete coverage is all you will ever need.